Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Dr.dolittle   PetXlover   Dr.dolittle  
 Member  Message

Dr.dolittle
View Profile

Please help! Hermie out of shell

My hermie has been active for the past 2 months that I’ve had him. A few weeks ago he molted, but since them he has been less active. 4 days ago he switched from the shell that he was in (which was a good size for him - not too big or too small) to a shell that was really too small. Then I bought a few more shells and he switched into one a little bigger (but still a little small). Anyway, this morning he was totally out of his shell sitting in his water dish... He is still that way tonight, but is still alive and alert.

How can I get him back into his shell? What could be making him do this?

Thanks!

07/01/09  10:29pm

PetXlover
View Profile

Message To: Dr.dolittle   In reference to Message Id: 2032452

Relax! Some hermies can be picky. When your hermie finds a shell he/she likes it will go in it so don’t try to force it into one and it should be fine. Just make sure you have plenty of shells for it to pick from. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

07/01/09  10:49pm

Dr.dolittle
View Profile

Message To: PetXlover   In reference to Message Id: 2032468

Thank you. = ))
I have 4 other shells for him/her to chose from... I just worry because being out of his shell could also mean he isn’t feeling well.

I did isolate him into his own little habitat and increased the humidity. He is on coconut bedding but when I increase the moisture, it gets a little moldy. Therefore the humidity is less than the 70-80%. I always keep the two bowls of water (dechlorinated and salt) though...

I hope you’re right and he is just picky... or that it’s just the humidity (since I’ve now raised it back up). We’ll see. Thank you though for easing my worry a bit =)

07/01/09  11:20pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area