Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Tojo   Tojo   Herb123  
 Member  Message

Tojo
View Profile

Hermit Molts

Hello,

I have a question regarding my Hermit Crabs. I have 22 Purple Pinchers (Caribbean) hermit crabs in varying sizes. They live in a large tank with plenty of room and plenty of things to climb. I have two gauges in the tank and I monitor the humidity and heat closely. I keep the tank very clean, bathe them once every two weeks, and give them much love.

In their food dish I grate “Crabworx” calcium supplement over their food so they get enough calcium in their diet. I feed them dried fruit, fresh fruit, pet store pellets, raw walnuts (they go wild over walnuts), and cocktail shrimp for protein. I have one fresh water dish and one salt water dish. I change the water out frequently. I give them bottled water and not tap water. They drink out of both.

My substrate is calci-sand with a large recessed bowl filled with either pebbles or coconut husk which I keep moist. It does wonders for maintaining the correct humidity.

My concern is their complexion after the molt. About a third of my hermits have molted already. I isolate them while molting, they stay under for about a week or so. I let them eat their discarded outer shell, but they don’t quite get back the shiny complexion my other crabs have. The color comes back, but not the shiny sheen. Am I just being impatient?

I would love your input.

Thank You!

01/02/09  07:14pm

Tojo
View Profile

Message To: Tojo   In reference to Message Id: 1925165

Hermit Molts

Sorry, No Message.

01/04/09  06:29pm

Herb123
View Profile

Message To: Tojo   In reference to Message Id: 1925165

Hermit Molts

Just be patient. They’ll be back to normal soon.(Your tank sounds almost just like mine, but better)

04/17/09  06:46am

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area