Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Joe smoe111   Vckums   Burnin4Christ   Joe smoe111   Herb123   Crazymaddy10  
 Member  Message

Joe smoe111
View Profile

Info for beginer.

My sister is thinking about getting some hermet crabs.

what would be some good info on taking care of them.

Thanks

11/11/08  10:31pm

Vckums
View Profile

Message To: Joe smoe111   In reference to Message Id: 1897159

Info for beginer.

From my site:

•Glass aquarium or terrarium. We recommend nothing smaller then a 10 gallon. Also known as a crabitat.
•A glass or plexi-glass lid for the aquarium. You may use a mesh lid and cover it with saran wrap. Please be advised this isn’t the best solution.
•A humidity gauge to assure the crabitat stays at the recommended 74 - 82% relative humidity
•A temperature gauge. The crabitat needs to be between 72 - 84 degrees farenheit temperature
•UTH(under tank heater) for your correct tank size. You may also use a combo light. You will need a day-glo and a night-glo incandescent bulb. The wattage will vary depending on your tank size.
•Substrate that is acceptable, such as play sand that is deemed safe for children, beach sand, compressed coconut fiber (Eco Earth and Forrest Bedding) or fine crushed coral.
•Extra shells are needed. Approximately 4 shells per crab in a varying range of sizes and types.
•Fresh foods are a MUST. Offer them daily fresh meat, eggs, fruit, veggies and nuts. We offer a safe food list on our site, please check it out.
•Dechlorinated water & bowl(not metal). Get a water conditioner at most pet stores in the aquarium supply area. Make sure it does NOT contain a slime coat. Tap water will harm your crabs.
•Saltwater and bowl(not metal). Also found in the aquarium section of a pet store. Do NOT use table salt as it is harmful to hermit crabs. You need the salt water bowl to be deep enough to FULLY cover your largest crab. Some brands are Oceanic and Instant Ocean salt water. The salt water also need to be dechlorinated.
•Hiding coves and huts. You can make your own out of Tupperware or buy store bought items such as half logs, caves and coconut huts.
•Climbing accessories such as choya/cholla wood, cork bark, grapevine, driftwood and coral. You can use fake plastic plants and vines, hemp nets, turtle docks are also great.

11/21/08  12:14pm

Burnin4Christ
View Profile

Message To: Vckums   In reference to Message Id: 1902655

Info for beginer.

everything sounds great! the only thing i would say is you may or maynot need an UTH depeding on where you keep then=m in your house.

11/22/08  12:11pm

Joe smoe111
View Profile

Message To: Burnin4Christ   In reference to Message Id: 1903123

Info for beginer.

thank-you i very much appreciate the help.

11/24/08  08:14pm

Herb123
View Profile

Message To: Joe smoe111   In reference to Message Id: 1897159

Info for beginer.

I think that they covered it all.

04/17/09  06:42am

Crazymaddy10
View Profile

Message To: Burnin4Christ   In reference to Message Id: 1903123

Info for beginer.

make sure she gets more then one. They get lonely by themselves.

- hope she has fun with them!

07/13/09  04:56pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area