Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hermit-Crabs Forum

Meese   Squishywater   Burnin4Christ   Cgns   Hickchick1981  
 Member  Message

Meese
View Profile

New hermit crab - sick?

I’m in college and I have a few hermit crabs as pets. Yesterday my suitemates got me 2 new ones. One of them is very active and social and seems absolutely fine but the other one has me a little concerned. Aside from the fact that it is shy, it seems a little lethargic and today I took it out to sit in my hand for a little bit and when it finally came out of its shell it leaked a yellowish brownish liquid all over my hand. It could have been dirty water I guess but none of my other crabs have ever done that and the tank isn’t overly moist at all. The only way I could see that much water getting in the shell is if the crab got completely soaked in the water bowl and scooped some water into its shell. And even then, the water in their bowls is clean, I change it daily. All that muck in the water would have had to have come from the crab. I have it in isolation right now just in case and it is moving around a bit, but not nearly as much as my others would. I can’t leave it in there though because it is basically just a small plastic container from the pet store and I would feel bad leaving it in such a small enclosure for very long. Does it seem like the hermit crab could be sick or am I worrying too much?

10/02/08  10:06pm

Squishywater
View Profile

Message To: Meese   In reference to Message Id: 1873568

New hermit crab - sick?

I’m not sure if she’s sick. But here’s a few things to keep in mind.
If you just got her yesterday, the yellowish liquid may have been from her other environment.

Where did they get it from? Also, how many crabs total do you have, and in what size tank?
Generally, if she is sick you don’t have to isolate her. Just make sure the temperature of the tank is around 72-80 F. The higher end preferably with a sick one. And Humidity around 70-80%.

10/02/08  10:28pm

Burnin4Christ
View Profile

New hermit crab - sick?

a small plastic container can work as a temporary isolation with a molting crab, however i think yours would be better off in the main tank with the others.

10/28/08  04:07pm

Cgns
View Profile

New hermit crab - sick?

Often the pet stores that sell these little critters don’t know the first thing about caring for them. I was in one once that had nothing but thin muddy sludge in the water bowl. It is very possible that your little guy is extremely stressed out from his previous conditions.
They rinse their shells out periodically with salt (ocean, not table ;) ) water. It could be that he has a build-up of gunk in his shell, though don’t quote me on that. Just make sure he has a dish of salt water deep enough that he can fully submerge, with something to climb out on in it, and he’ll take care of his bath by himself. Hermit crabs carry water around in their shell, and regulate the salinity by balancing fresh and salt-water until it is the right mix for them.
By overly-moist, do you have a gauge for humidity in there? Around 70-80% is just the right range for them, but I do know that long periods of higher humidity can cause problems with the proper functioning with their gills. Also over-heating can make them bubble brownish liquid from their mouths, but that doesn’t sound like what’s happening to your guy.
It sounds to me like he’s stressed, and I second the suggestion of just leaving him in the main tank with your others. Regrettably, sometimes they are just so stressed out by the time they get to us that all we can do is make sure they have what they need, and let them get better by themselves, or worse. Good luck with him!

10/29/08  09:29am

Hickchick1981
View Profile

New hermit crab - sick?

lol, hate to break it to ya, but it sounds like you got peed on. Happens sometimes when you lift them up and they get really scared.

12/26/10  01:15pm

Back to Hermit-Crabs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area