Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Health Issues Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Health Issues Forum

Member  Message

Cots
View Profile

Ball Python Weird Looking Skin Issue

So my ball python shed about a week and a half ago. I have had him since he was a baby (he is about 6 years old now) and he has only had maybe 3 total full clean sheds. Most come off in pieces. I have increase humidity, soaked him during shedding, increase heat, and such to try to help him shed however I still usually need to help a bit and rub the remaining pieces off.

This last time was no different I needed to help with the last 6 inches or so of him. However, I noticed the today that there is about a 4 to 5 inch patch on his back that is a cloudy almost like he is ready to shed again. The skin almost looks like a burn but there is nothing in his tank that could/would burn the top of his back in that section. When i took him out i rubbed the spot and a few scales fell off and it was a bit "gooey" under i guess is the way to describe. I am wondering if anyone had any similar experience with any of their snakes. As I mentioned I have always had to help him shed this was not the first and the majority of the time he seems to be extremely thankful and enjoys the process as I would assume anyone with itchy skin trying to get it off would.

I am not sure if this could have happened by potentially doing this process to early or if this could be something else? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Oh and when i do the shedding with him he is soaked for a least 30 min in warm water but this time he was actually in the warm water for a few hours in his tank.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

04/25/11  07:08pm

Back to Health Issues Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area