Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Health Issues Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Health Issues Forum

Member  Message

DHoffman
View Profile

Fire belly and yellow belly

I had a student give me a fire belly frog and a yellow bellied toad that her aunt had had for a little over a year now living in the same cage. I had been feeding them crickets until a couple weeks ago when Billings hit below zero temperatures. Everything was coming in frozen. I had to feed them and asked petsmart what they had that I could feed the frog and toad. They told me blood worms.

I gave the blood worms 2 weeks ago. The fire belly ate the worm with no problems. The yellow bellied toad spit it back out after eating it half way. It spit it out and up with it came slime. Since then it has eaten less and less. I picked it up today and the entire abdomen area and under the chin are swollen. It tried to eat a cricket but couldn’t get its toung out of its mouth far enough. It then gave up. I am worried because I know the swelling is not normal. However, could it be the worms or could it be getting poisoned from the fire belly after this long? Please if you could help I would truly appreciate it.

I have separated them as of today to try and do something.

DHoffman

01/24/09  01:56pm

Back to Health Issues Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area