Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Grass Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Grass Lizards Forum

Da whits   Clawmarks   Da whits   Clawmarks   Ameivaboy   Atlaslover   Symbiosis   Cornsnake Kid   Cornsnake Kid   ILuvMyFrogs!   HerpHobo   Hypokeetee   Viper89   Jj342   NEWTMAN456   Joshsnakeman   Ameivaboy   Captotterboy   Dragon boi   Reptile_kyle   Lizard lover 239   Reptile_kyle   Rudolphtamer04   Lizard lover 239   PURP_HAZE_KILLA_CAM   Removed By System   MissSkyTheGecko   Monitor caretaker   Liz the man   Edward Howard  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Da whits
View Profile

Grass lizards with tree frogs?!?!?!?

I have a green tree frog and was looking 4 another one but when I went to petsmart they had grass lizards in with greentree frogs will they do fine in a big enough tank together???

04/17/05  12:56am

Clawmarks
View Profile

Message To: Da   In reference to Message Id: 312767

Grass lizards are pretty calm and mostly keep to themselves. I had one with a green anole for a couple days before I bought another terrarium and they basically ignored eachother the entire time.

Green tree frogs just kind of stick to things and hang out. lol I would think they’d be fine with grass lizards.

04/19/05  11:52pm

Da whits
View Profile

Hi,
Thanks for the info I have just never seen lizards with frogs before.
-Erik

04/20/05  11:31am

Clawmarks
View Profile

Yup... No problem. I think you could keep grass lizards or frogs with anything, as long as it’s not big enough to eat them. Well... Have fun with your lizards and frogs...

04/20/05  11:36am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Clawmarks   In reference to Message Id: 316669

i kept a trio of anoles,2 grass lizards and a green tree frog all in the same setup for many months and no problems arose, just make sure they all have their own space

08/03/05  05:44pm

Atlaslover
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 427277

iíve been told that noctunal animal keep grass lizars awake at nite

08/20/05  05:32pm

Symbiosis
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 427277

People, I am so glad I came across this forum because I just finished my turrarium and Iím keeping a grass lizard, green anole, green tree frog, and a newt in the same tank and Iím so nervous about it.

Itís a 50 gallon tank, so they have plenty of space. I put a huge tupaware bowl filled with water to keep the newt in and made sure to give him access in and out. I provided plenty of hiding spots (rocks, plants, and a huge bridge) as well as 2 small drinking bowls for the others. I provided 2 basking lights on opposite sides, but made sure to provide a lot of shade in various areas. Iím hoping it works out. None of them are big enough to eat each other.

08/20/05  08:18pm

Cornsnake Kid
View Profile

Message To: Symbiosis   In reference to Message Id: 448941

Mixing species is a BAD idea. The tree frogs could let out poisons that could harm the grass lizards.

-Jackson

08/23/05  01:07pm

Cornsnake Kid
View Profile

Message To: Cornsnake Kid   In reference to Message Id: 452325

BUMP I want people to see this post lol.

09/23/05  11:00am

ILuvMyFrogs!
View Profile

Message To: Cornsnake Kid   In reference to Message Id: 488033

NEVER MIX SPECIES!!!

There are reasons why it is not advised to force them to live so close in captivity...

Most frogs have different bodily secretions, and many are intolerant of each other, as are other animals. That is why you never find two different species in close proximity in the wild.

Also, different kinds of amphibians & reptiles from different areas etc may carry bacteria which is harmful to other species (even if it is not harmful to them).
For example; Some reptiles can carry salmonella, it does not affect them- but if they come into contact with people- they can catch it, & it will more than likely make them ill.

How can you be sure that one healthy reptile/amphibian will not carry something potentially dangerous to another species?

Seriously, for the health of your animals-
DONíT DO IT!!!

09/23/05  05:04pm

HerpHobo
View Profile

Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 488304

dont listen to them the tree frogs do great with anoles and grass lizards. Its fine to mix species you just have to know whats ok and whats not. Thats a whites tree frog! I believe the kid had a green tree frog which stays much smaller and it completely compatible... Whites can be mixed too but there are nearly nothing goes with them because of course whites eat almost everything.

10/13/05  11:31pm

Hypokeetee
View Profile

Message To: HerpHobo   In reference to Message Id: 510767

hahaha what a FAT frog, that thing could probably swallowme whole.. Ive got my anoles, grass lizzards and tree frogs in the same enclosue, no stress, all mating and producing offspring. my anoles are always green, my grassys curl up under a layer of moss for the night and the tree frogs are plump and healthy....

they all require roughly the same conditions in temperature and humidity....

i have had this going on for a year now with no problems.. Except what to do with all of the cross mated jumping grass lizzards... JP relax, joke haha...
alright guys, ttyl

10/19/05  12:11pm

Viper89
View Profile

Message To: Hypokeetee   In reference to Message Id: 516037

Mixing species is NEVER A GOOD IDEA. BUT if you do it be VERY CAREFUL.

10/23/05  07:01pm

Jj342
View Profile

Message To: Viper89   In reference to Message Id: 520656

you can try grey tree frogs they seem to be a little calmer.im going to try a grey tree frog,green anole(which i already have),2 grass lizards.and yes iíll have a 50 gallon to put them.

12/18/05  08:33pm

NEWTMAN456
View Profile

Message To: Jj342   In reference to Message Id: 576634

Well I didnt read any of the post above because Iím lazy. Lets get down to buisness, frog have nasty tasting to poisonous bodily secretions lets say the green frog since its brightly colored which is normally a poison indicator released toxic secretions just by jumping in your water bowl and all you lizards slowly but surely drink the water, all of them are poisoned and will croak, no pun intended.

12/29/05  04:12pm

Joshsnakeman
View Profile

Message To: NEWTMAN456   In reference to Message Id: 586590

i agree with ILuvmyfrogs, mixing species is a bad idea. Just because you havent had any problems, doesnt mean you wont. You might all of the sudden have some of the reptiles die in 1 year, or 5 years, or something. If you are extremely careful and have a large enough tank i.e. 200 gallons, plus have done lots and lots of research, then it can be done with a few select species.
Also, grass lizards are from ASIA, green tree frogs and anoles are from NORTH AMERICA. Who knows what parasites are over in asia that could harm species here, or vice versa.

01/21/06  07:02pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Joshsnakeman   In reference to Message Id: 615229

ok, people have combined grass lizards with anoles and treefrogs,house geckos and even Firebelly newts with no problems, if you know how to read your animals for stress/illness and have created niches for each of the species you should be ok. as for parasites most are host specific, so i wouldnt trip off that, and as for that whites tree frog photo, if you put a large whites treefrog in with grass lizards what do you really think is gonna happen

02/05/06  06:45pm

Captotterboy
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 637199

Hey,
as i am new to this forum (being about 10 minutes new), and as this is my first post on the first topic i read, i worry about sticking my head in the lions mouth, but......
I too house a green tree frog with a couple of anoles, a fan footed gecko, and a couple long tails in a 20L tank. all are very healthy and keep to different parts of the cage. The only problem i have is during cleaning time. Fan tailed are not exactly tame. I try to get the long tails out first so i can clean (they are the easiest to move), but it usually results in the fan foot running around disturbing the fragile peace of my rain forest habitat. That and he bites. hard.
I am building a new tank (its 60.5 gallons) that will be aquatic/rainforest. im following the directions off blackjungle.com I figure i can put semi aquatic creatures as well as my current residents of my 20L tank in the new tank and still not have much interaction between them. but just in case, are there any semi-aquatic creatures that have a lower risk of biological warfare than another (like, is a fire belly toad better or worse than a type of newt, ect)? Yes i know, dont mix. but lets say (for instance) that im hard headed and dumb and im going to do it anyway. What would you (plurally) suggest?

Thank,
Jeff

02/06/06  01:51pm

Dragon boi
View Profile

Message To: Captotterboy   In reference to Message Id: 638122

newts are not as toxic as firebellied toads. but i still donít think you should keep them with your others, its crowded enough as it is.
if you want somthing aquatic for your new tank then go for fish, dwarf clawed frogs or ghost shrip. but not african clawed frogs cos they get too big.
also you said u hade a fan foot gecko, but later u said fan tailed, was that just a spelling error or have u got both?
i hope you had all ur little guys tested for parasites befor hand.

03/09/06  06:58am

Reptile_kyle
View Profile

Message To: Dragon boi   In reference to Message Id: 684146

ok for the original topic.
i have kept longtails anoles and green tree frogs together no problem. i did end up separating them because of breeding with the anoles and i didnt want to loose the offspring. i currently only keep one long tail and 2 anoles in the same tank. hoping for a 2nd longtail soon as i can find one :)

04/30/06  03:44pm

Lizard lover 239
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_kyle   In reference to Message Id: 765094

i have a grass lizard 2 green anole and 1 bahaman anole in the same encloser and thier fine togther and 2 anoles are male

05/03/06  08:58am

Reptile_kyle
View Profile

Message To: Lizard lover 239   In reference to Message Id: 769407

id be carfull on the bahama anole. they are a bit more aggressive i do believe.

Quote:

dont listen to them the tree frogs do great with anoles and grass lizards. Its fine to mix species you just have to know whats ok and whats not. Thats a whites tree frog! I believe the kid had a green tree frog which stays much smaller and it completely compatible... Whites can be mixed too but there are nearly nothing goes with them because of course whites eat almost everything.

i have my whites in with green eye geckos no problem what so ever i was carful at first watching them closly for the first week because the smallest was easly food for my largest but nope they turned out to be fine but size is a serious matter for mixing anytihng

05/05/06  12:04am

Rudolphtamer04
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_kyle   In reference to Message Id: 772439

Bwahaha, I smell ignorance.

05/06/06  10:57pm

Lizard lover 239
View Profile

Message To: Rudolphtamer04   In reference to Message Id: 774962

yes the bahaman is a litle more agressive than the others but now i put in a green treefrog completly compatable

05/21/06  05:36pm

PURP_HAZE_KILLA_CAM
View Profile

Message To: Lizard lover 239   In reference to Message Id: 796964

i think its fine to mix diff animals i have a tank set up with a little more than 1/3 water 5 inches deep, i have 2 baby red ear sliders the size of quarters, 3 green anoles 4 grey tree frogs,2 red eye tree frogs, 2 grass lizards, and one smooth green snake, there fine and have been fine for months and dont bother each other, there in a 55 gal. tank with water 5 inches deep poting soil on other side of glass divider 5 inches deeplive plants and drift wood. everything has access to land and water, tank stays humid and warm with uvb light, only problem i have is they are breakin my pockets with the amount of crickets they eat every week

06/18/06  12:21pm

Removed By System
View Profile

Message To: PURP_HAZE_KILLA_CAM   In reference to Message Id: 838237

Grass Lizards

Removed By System

06/24/06  11:23pm

MissSkyTheGecko
View Profile

Message To: R0nky   In reference to Message Id: 850062

well someones cranky...

07/03/06  01:55am

Monitor caretaker
View Profile

Message To: ILuvMyFrogs!   In reference to Message Id: 488304

dont worry about that pic that is a dumpy which is a huge tree frog if you getan asian tree frog or a regular tree frog and give them space but dont get a pac man allright

07/05/06  06:28pm

Liz the man
View Profile

Message To: Clawmarks   In reference to Message Id: 316283

ok i was reading about the grass lizards anad tree frogs i want to no do you think it would be fine with two long tail lizards and one tree frog in a 20 gallon tank or should i get two more long tails.
i dont no im so confuzed

07/12/06  01:14am

Edward Howard
View Profile

Message To: Liz the man   In reference to Message Id: 879566

personally i donít belive that any amphibian shuold be kept with anything other than itís own spieces or subspieces because all amphibians are toxic, some are more so than others. iív kept many spieces together in the past and i live to regret it, unlike the animlsa who didnít live.
no one can be sure what affect these toxins have on other animals, but they are designed to deter them away from eatin the amphbian, so we can assume that they are not pleasent!
anoles and grass lizards can live together if a lot of space is provided. but frogs and the like shouldnít be kept with anything different. ok?

07/15/06  01:06pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Grass Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area