Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Grass Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Grass Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Frogtender2   Chaostails   Albaoni   Rexxaroo  

Member  Message

Frogtender2
View Profile

Need to identify death cause please help!

My friends long tail just died and I’ve skimmed every single book and web page to look for the cause. The lizard has a hole through the neck and sunken eyes. His water dish was completely full and she always keeps the heat up to standers . Can someone help please!!!

03/13/10  10:01am

Chaostails
View Profile

Message To: Frogtender2   In reference to Message Id: 2132460

a hole Through his neck? that sounds nasty. if she has other animal in the same tank it should be cleaned.

04/16/10  03:22pm

Albaoni
View Profile

Message To: Frogtender2   In reference to Message Id: 2132460

My long-tail, Yubi, looked perfectly fine at 11:00 last night when I checked on him before I went to bed. I get up at 7:30 this morning and he is dead with a hole clear through his neck and his eyes are missing. His left front leg looks curled up and dried up. I have noticed that when I place his meal worms in his dish that they crawl out. I just assumed he would "hunt" down his prey within his cage. He’s been drinking water fine and has been very active. I looked at the bottom of his terrarium and a lot of the worms were there at the bottom, some still very much alive. I am now wondering if it is possible that the meal worms ate on the lizard? I don’t know. I’d like an answer to this as much as frogtender 2, please. This is just so disheartening. I’m afraid to get another for fear that it will die as well. We purchased him on 12/28. He wasn’t even two weeks old!

01/09/12  08:25am

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Albaoni   In reference to Message Id: 2250334

Live food left in the cage is usually a no no. Mealworms and crickets will chew on lizards as they sleep, and that could very well be the cause of its death. To keep this from happening, you can do several things:
1) feed the lizard in a seperate bin until it is full then put him back in his house.
2) if you must keep live food in the tank, use a higher bowl that the lizard is still able to get in and out of but is too high for the bugs to get out
3) handfeed him until he doesnt want .any more food.
I have found that paper cups work great, (the little dixie kind) if you cut them in half, or usuing a small ceramic dog bowl.
I am so sorry about the loss of your lizards, its very sad :( good luck

Rexx

04/02/12  05:49pm

Back to Grass Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area