Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Grass Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Grass Lizards Forum

Froggfreak   Madcowgreen   Froggfreak   Madcowgreen   Froggfreak   Madcowgreen   Froggfreak   Madcowgreen   Froggfreak   Madcowgreen   Froggfreak  
 Member  Message

Froggfreak
View Profile

New Long Tail!!!

I got 1 new long tail yesterday. Her name is Sam, she’s beautiful! I am currently housing her in a 27 gallon terrarium. She is around 12 - 13 inches long, and very plump. I provided many things to climb on, one hide box, and a large water dish. She has a 75 watt Exo-terra heat lamp, and a UVB lamp setup on the other side. Cocohusk is her substrate, its kinda like Bed - a beast, just a different name. Any comments on something i might be doing wrong?? And also, how often do I need to dust her crickets, once a week?

05/11/08  11:47am

Madcowgreen
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 1731882

New Long Tail!!!

change her substrate they can get impacted on this because its small enough for them to swallow when hunting/eating crix, how old is she? if she is a juvie they need calcium every day. what are ur temps and what is ur humidty at?

05/13/08  01:02pm

Froggfreak
View Profile

Message To: Madcowgreen   In reference to Message Id: 1734059

New Long Tail!!!

this stuff is not small enough for her to swallow, it is twice the size of her head. she is id guess around 2 years old. i know shes not a juvie anyways. my basking temps are about 90 and the cooler side is around 75 or 80, im not sure of the humidity, i dont know how to maintain a constant humidity so when ever i check on her i mist the tank.

05/13/08  11:47pm

Madcowgreen
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 1734814

New Long Tail!!!

90 degrees is too hot ur low temps should be ur high temps

05/15/08  02:33pm

Froggfreak
View Profile

Message To: Madcowgreen   In reference to Message Id: 1736292

New Long Tail!!!

ok, i got a 70watt. now the higher temps are about 75 - 80. the cooler temps are not much lower, probably 65 - 75. i havnt seen her eat anything. and theres no poop in the tank. ive been worried. but i checked this morning and i could see her tail sticking out of the ground, so i think shes getting more comfortable because thats the first time ive seen her burry her self.

05/21/08  10:30am

Madcowgreen
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 1742186

New Long Tail!!!

they love to burrow! good sign

05/23/08  06:18pm

Froggfreak
View Profile

Message To: Madcowgreen   In reference to Message Id: 1744359

New Long Tail!!!

Do you think Sam would be lonely in this tank. its pretty big, and shes got lots of extra room, im thinking of gettin her a friend. i know i should be careful with males, so ill be sure to get one male, maximum if i buy more. but if i get two females and a male, will this cause more of a chance of them breeding? do you think this will get sam to eat if shes not lonely?

05/26/08  12:47am

Madcowgreen
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 1746561

New Long Tail!!!

i dont think her being lonely will make her eat, they are fine with other lizards or by themselves. has she eaten yet?

05/28/08  06:47pm

Froggfreak
View Profile

Message To: Madcowgreen   In reference to Message Id: 1749422

New Long Tail!!!

Ok, so I bought another lizard. And yes, ive seen her eat right away, the moment i drop the crickets in she pounced them. But now im worried about the other lizard. The pet store i bought him from isnt very smart as they had six males and 2 females together in the same tank, but this lizard has 6 or so inches MISSING from its tail, and it is un naturally skinny. i know why he has a missing tail, but im unsure if its the overall health or the stomach that is causing this lizard the be SOOO skinny. Any ideas to help me get him back on track??
Btw, his name is Joey.

06/06/08  10:15am

Madcowgreen
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 1753361

New Long Tail!!!

umm well it sounds like ist very stressed. give it time if its not eating u could get a fecal done or just take it to the vet to rule out any problems.. keep us updated

06/14/08  02:47pm

Froggfreak
View Profile

Message To: Madcowgreen   In reference to Message Id: 1760777

New Long Tail!!!

well joey died, but i suspected he would the day after i bought him. so im gonna try at another, but from a differnet store

06/18/08  07:55pm

Back to Grass Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area