Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Grass Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Grass Lizards Forum

Matt richard   Matt richard   Butterfly9   Matt richard  
 Member  Message

Matt richard
View Profile

Food substitutes???

Iím looking to begin a beautiful relationship with some long-tails and anoles and was curious as to whether or not iíd be able to substitute the crickets available at most pet stores with wild crickets. Iíve never used pesticides or any form of poison near my home and Iíve kept a wild anole well fed with yard feed. I simply havenít had any experience with grass lizards and donít know if the little black crickets i find in my yard would be ill advised as opposed to the pale crickets at the store. Iíd also appreciate any general input as to grass lizard care.

P.S. thereís a massive population of little green grasshoppers in my yard, would these be good eating for the long-tails?

06/10/07  09:37pm

Matt richard
View Profile

Message To: Matt richard   In reference to Message Id: 1313280

Food substitutes???

BUMP. iím for serious about this one. iím paying for crickets until someone tells me otherwise *sad* and iím curious as to whether or not they can have tooooo much humidity. short of being drenched all the time or underwater.

06/12/07  01:14pm

Butterfly9
View Profile

Message To: Matt richard   In reference to Message Id: 1315598

Food substitutes???

Feeding them wild caught bugs all depends on if the bugs have come in to contact with anything that will harm your lizards. If they are getting sprayed with any chemicals or could have been donít feed them to your lizards. If youíre sure they donít have anything that will harm your lizards then itís ok. Iím not sure if grasshoppers are bad or not. I donít feed mine in wild caught bugs just because I live in the city and itís very likely that they have come into contact with something that will harm my lizards, so I donít take that chance.

I think that Long tails are amazing little guys. They are really fun to watch. They need a humidity level of around 70%. If there humidity stays too high for to long I believe it messes with there respiratory system. Mine at the highest is 75%. Do you have a hydrometer?

These guys are pretty easy once you have there temps and humidity right.

06/12/07  02:49pm

Matt richard
View Profile

Message To: Butterfly9   In reference to Message Id: 1315693

Food substitutes???

yeah i do but the humidity is pretty eratic. ihave a humidifier but it keeps the humidity close to about 90%. iím afraid to spray tooooo much cuz all my spray bottles have had cleaning solvents in them.

06/13/07  12:16am

Back to Grass Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area