Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum

FatTail1Cooter2   Reptinooblet   Shawdow   Reptinooblet   D0llm0uth   Mali man   Mali man   AquariumGuru   Huhwhat   Florida boy   Florida boy   SHvar   Joef   S.R.R.   Retile_expert  
 Member  Message

FatTail1Cooter2
View Profile

How venomous?

How venomous are gilas??? I love their patterns and they have always fascinated me. So im just curious how much damage a gila bite could do. I dont plan on getting one anytime soon as im only 15 and already have a frilled dragon, fat tailed gecko, and a peninsula cooter. But i would just like to know because i would like to get one when im older.

09/15/05  09:17pm

Reptinooblet
View Profile

Message To: FatTail1Cooter2   In reference to Message Id: 479944

How venomous?

LOL if u get bit and it a bit that goes through skin pritty much u have max 45 min to get treated people can get killed after 6 min of it being in there system!

09/19/05  08:12am

Shawdow
View Profile

Message To: Reptinooblet   In reference to Message Id: 483554

How venomous?

Wow, I dont know where you heard that from. Check your information before you post it. The only imaginable death that I would see from a Gila monster is if it bit an infant or small child. Now dont get me wrong, it will make you feel like you were dying or wish you were, BUT it will not kill you.

09/24/05  11:40pm

Reptinooblet
View Profile

Message To: Shawdow   In reference to Message Id: 489623

How venomous?

I checked Americas national deaths by lizards and theres about 17 a year infants and adults and they where venom deaths so that means its deadly.

09/25/05  11:30am

D0llm0uth
View Profile

Message To: Reptinooblet   In reference to Message Id: 489927

How venomous?

17 a year isnt much at all. Just because it has killed infants, and maybe a few adults doesnt mean that you only have 45 minutes to live after you get bit by one. I believe you are thinking of the Komodo dragon...

The adults probably died because of a severe allergic reaction from the bite, or because they were elderly, or had other health issues that contributed to it and wouldnt let them recover easily. You never know what the factors are.

10/01/05  10:13am

Mali man
View Profile

How venomous?

I visited a site www.drseward.com that suggest a gilas venom is on par with a rattlesnakes. The site also stated that most of the venom isnt transmitted to the victum. A gila has grooved teeth and works venom in by repeated biting ( not injected like a snake), but a bite should be considered a medical emerency ( the venom is a nerve toxin ). Would it kill a healthy adult? It sure puts a hurtin on small rodents with death coming in around 20 seconds. A Gilas teeth are also 1/8" or less and curved to the back of their mouth, all site interviews said a bite is very painful. The venom is said to be alkiline in nature, not acid base like a snakes. I found this bit of information interesting, its illegal to posses or take a gila from the wild without a permit. Might be wise a check your state and local laws. Good luck.

10/01/05  10:21pm

Mali man
View Profile

Message To: Mali man   In reference to Message Id: 497113

How venomous?

drseward wasnt the only site i visited for info. These guys are expensive.

10/01/05  10:42pm

AquariumGuru
View Profile

Message To: Mali man   In reference to Message Id: 497152

How venomous?

Im going to take sides with the disbelievers. I dont believe a lizard can kill in 45 min, i used to own 2 Volitan Lionfish. They too have a powerful venom in thier spines, but death from the poison is very unlikely. Although the pain is excrutiating, and the only way to treat the sting is to run it under next to boiling water untill you get anti-venom death is highly unlikely.
Just look at the anatomy of poisonous animals, the black widow- definitely an extremely dangerous and deadly spider, but it is very small and frail. Compare to the largest most powerful of spiders, still the black widow is more dangerous.
In nature poison is a defense mechanism if the animal is highly toxic it doesnt have to be very strong to defend itself. I just dont see such a big bulky lizard needed DEADLY toxin to defend itself.

10/10/05  01:19pm

Huhwhat
View Profile

Message To: AquariumGuru   In reference to Message Id: 506901

How venomous?

Here is a link to a reputable source of info on Gila Monster venom (Stanford University)

Link

Please note, from the article at the link...

Quote:

The venom is not highly toxic to man. Most bites result only in painful swelling at the localized area of envenomation. There have been isolated cases of fatality, but alcohol intoxication seems to have been the major factor.

Gila Monsters are not considered lethal to man. The few cases of death from Gila Monster bites that exist seem to have other factors, like being drunk, involved.

10/26/05  02:45pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: D0llm0uth   In reference to Message Id: 496508

How venomous?

I havent done any reaserch or anything but a Komodo dragon killing anyone especially 17 a year due to the fact that no one lives on Komodo island. Especially infants.

11/02/05  08:24pm

Florida boy
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 529603

How venomous?

sorry incomplete thought. I meant its very unlikely.

11/02/05  08:26pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Florida boy   In reference to Message Id: 529603

There are many people who live on Komodo island..

Rinca, Sumbawa, etc, they are in villages that are on stilts, mostly near the shore due to the fact that theres not much to live off of by fish and farm animals kept in the village. They have an agreement with the government of Indonesia that they help conserve the Komodo to live in its territory although isolated incidents of poisoning occur from disgruntled villages that lose livestock, and children to the komodo on occasion.

11/10/05  11:59pm

Joef
View Profile

Message To: SHvar   In reference to Message Id: 538855

There are many people who live on Komodo island..

komodo dragons dont just live on the one island they can swim very well and do quite often swim to the surrounding islands

04/13/06  10:22pm

S.R.R.
View Profile

Not such a good idea :(

Oh, owning one would not be a good idea. Even if they are amazing creatures, please leave them alone :( i also want one, but they are kinda poisonous, eh? If your into lizards, try another species, it will do you more good than owning one of those!

09/25/10  04:31pm

Retile_expert
View Profile

Message To: Reptinooblet   In reference to Message Id: 489927

How venomous?

For 1. all venom is not the same. Depends on the type of animal on how much venom it will put into your venom and how fast it affects or kills you. Gila monsters venom won’t kill an adult but will put you through living hell with the pain. It’s venom is deadly to small kids and what not but not adults. If I were you I’d do much more research on the gila monster and it’s venom. I’ve been bit by a gila monster when I was visiting my friend in Colorado Springs (he does have a permit to own it). It was hell but I’m still alive. Not the first time I’ve been bit by an animal but it happens and that was one I truely wish didn’t happen.

02/19/11  11:10pm

Back to Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area