Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum

Member  Message

Azvenomous
View Profile

To those who want a Gila as a pet in Arizona.

I’m new to this forum, but I just wanted to inform those that want a Gila Monster as a pet. Here in Arizona, it is not legal to have one without a Special Permit issued by AZG&F. You also cannot buy or sell native restricted species here in Arizona or import them from other States. These Special Permits are issued to Exhibits and Zoo’s, and only for educational purpose and are not issued to the gereral public. It is illegal to have one in your personal collection just because you think it is a cool lizard. The fine for having a Gila without a permit is not worth it. The following is from Lizards of Arizona web sight. " It is against Arizona State law to harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect a Gila Monster or to attempt to engage in any such conduct." If you take a Gila out of the wild believe me you will eventually be caught. I have known people who were turned in by a friend who they p***ed off for one reason or another that knew they had one illegally. I have a Reptile Exhibit here in so. Arizona and I know the law here. Yes I also have a Reticulate Gila Monster and the Special Permit to go with it, and believe me it wasn’t easy to get. There are a few people who breed these in captivity. They are very expensive ($1300.00 - $3800.00 ea.). If you have that kind of money, and if they are legal in your State and you think you are mature enough, and have the proper training by a mentor to keep and handle venomous lizard or any venomous reptile then by all means get one. They are beautiful creatures. But don’t get one just because you think it would be cool to have one. Thanks for your time.

09/23/09  02:57am

Back to Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area