Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum

Savannah monitor 4   Xpantherx   Shiftylarry   Savannah monitor 4   Mxracer   Weeze   Savannah monitor 4   Weeze   Weeze   Navy_JD   Angelo   BooByVu   Shiftylarry   Angelo  
 Member  Message

Savannah monitor 4
View Profile

Purchasing Gila

Could you actually buy a gila from here? Link

08/13/07  06:18pm

Xpantherx
View Profile

Message To: Savannah monitor 4   In reference to Message Id: 1401938

Purchasing Gila

I’ve seen them for sale before. You’d need to make sure they’re legal to keep in your state and get the right licensing to own one though.

~k

08/16/07  10:33pm

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: Xpantherx   In reference to Message Id: 1406650

Purchasing Gila

The law change from state to state. For example, in California, beaded lizards are legal, but not gila monsters. You certainly need a permit to own one though, wherever you are.

09/14/07  06:13pm

Savannah monitor 4
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1443696

Purchasing Gila

My dad just bought one from that website(yes, he has a permit). He’s probably the coolest lizard I’ve ever seen(except mabye for tha croc monitor at the zoo)

09/14/07  09:17pm

Mxracer
View Profile

Message To: Savannah monitor 4   In reference to Message Id: 1443855

Purchasing Gila

post pics of your dads gila

10/04/07  11:18pm

Weeze
View Profile

Message To: Savannah monitor 4   In reference to Message Id: 1401938

Purchasing Gila

Purchasing Gila "monsters"? The sale of posionous animals is prohibited in the united states except for sale to licensed individuals... (Yes, I am aware they have no poison, but toxic bacteria is just as bad). Also, they are endangered (perhaps recently moved to threatened or vice versa). I wouldn’t recommend buying one even if they are availible to buy.

12/16/07  09:44pm

Savannah monitor 4
View Profile

Message To: Weeze   In reference to Message Id: 1548843

Purchasing Gila

Uhhhhhhh, my dad is liscensed, know your stuff before you reccomend or accuse something.

12/19/07  05:33pm

Weeze
View Profile

Message To: Savannah monitor 4   In reference to Message Id: 1551205

Purchasing Gila

Did I accuse you of something? Read again- except licensed individuals. I do research. I’ve been a serious hobbiest for a long while now, and know my stuff pretty well. Do you read? Neither of us would have wasted a post if you did.

12/19/07  07:43pm

Weeze
View Profile

Message To: Weeze   In reference to Message Id: 1548843

Purchasing Gila

Quote:

(Yes, I am aware they have no poison, but toxic bacteria is just as bad).

They contain a neurotoxin.

Quote:

Also, they are endangered (perhaps recently moved to threatened or vice versa).

They are listed as protected. For the past 4 years the gila monster has had bills that were shot down to declare it threatened.

I wouldn’t recommend getting one because most are collected illegally.

12/19/07  08:42pm

Navy_JD
View Profile

Message To: Weeze   In reference to Message Id: 1551346

Purchasing Gila

First of all, "purchasing poisonous animals in the united states" is generally not illegal under any statute in the United States Code or Code of Federal Regulations. Certain protected species are illegal to purchase or possess under federal law, but not every venomous "animal". Each state makes its own regulations about the purchase and possession of wildlife, including "poisonous animals". They may be banned outright, or restricted to professionals or individuals holding a permit/license.

Second, there are now a great many people and groups engaged in the breeding of Gila Monsters and Beaded Lizards. I’ve seen dozens offered for sale on kingsnake.com.

Please try to at least pretend to do some research before posting profound statements. Thanks!

JD

04/12/08  09:50pm

Angelo
View Profile

Message To: Navy_JD   In reference to Message Id: 1700821

Purchasing Gila

some breed gila monsters, like pro exotics. added to the permit needed to keep them, they cost $1000+ depending on the pattern (reticulated and banded).

05/30/08  09:25pm

BooByVu
View Profile

Message To: Weeze   In reference to Message Id: 1551296

Purchasing Gila

Hi guys. Heated words in here huh? Yeah its true that MOST states require a license to keep different animals as pets but not ALL and not for ALL dangerous animals. I live in Georgia and know my State laws and it clearly states that you need a license to import a non native venomous animal. I keep a group of timber rattlesnakes which then is legal without a license even if I do buy them off kingsnake. I am currently trying to get my license because Georgia is stupid and wont let me get a cobra without one lol. Hmm I believe most states allow you to keep any native species and it be legal so if you live in say....Texas or Nevada? Then gila monsters are actually legal to keep. Again i "Think"....i dont research all 50 state rules.

06/18/08  04:20pm

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: BooByVu   In reference to Message Id: 1765218

Purchasing Gila

Since I work at East Bay Vivarium (Reptile Shop) in Ca, let me list all the poisonous animals that ARE ALLOWED and the WE CARRY AND SELL TO THE PUBLIC WITHOUT PERMITS:

-Beaded Lizard
-Dog Toothed Cat Snake
-Malaysian Water Snake
-False Water Cobra
-Cat Eyed Snake
-Mangrove Snake

There are plenty of other species that are totally illegal despite being venomous/poisonous.

-Chris

06/26/08  12:00am

Angelo
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1773868

Purchasing Gila

like BooByVo said, not all states require a permit for venomous lizards. here in kansas, the state dousn’t require a permit for gilas and beaded lizards, but for all non-native venomous snakes and dangorous mammals (but thats beside the point).but my city dosen’t allow venomous lizards.

07/09/08  10:29pm

Back to Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area