Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum

LGL   LizardKing   LGL   Mr.mike   LGL   LizardKing   Mr.mike   Flip21   Dragón_Dorado   Rishdude   Ccole   Boamaster200   LGL   Dubious1   LGL   HEATHER23   Gecko man   Tino   Clawmarks   Gaboon  
 Member  Message

LGL
View Profile

Anyone else interested in Gila Monsters???

I am pretty intersted in them, and I’ll probably be buying one in like 10 years or so... In the meantime though, I’ll be buying other Herps and Exotics!!! How fun huh???? Lol!!! Oh, back to the question... I was wondering, is anybody else Interested or own Gila Monsters??? My friend does... He’s a cool little Gila!!! I can’t wait to get mine!!! (or go and see my friends Gila again!!! Lol!!!).

LGL

08/20/04  09:06pm

LizardKing
View Profile

Message To: LGL   In reference to Message Id: 124822

YES! i am also very interested in gilas. like you, i’m thinking maybe 7-10 yrs or so down the road i’ll get one. they are pretty expensive, but i think they would be the ultimate breeding project. have you been to dr. seward’s website?? its very good. he sells like books on breeding, tools, and GILAS. apparently the venom of a gila can cause discomfort, but can’t kill you. do you have any ideas on getting permits for owning them? what state do you live in?

08/30/04  12:32am

LGL
View Profile

Message To: LizardKing   In reference to Message Id: 131974

Yes, I’ve been to Dr. Seward’s website!!! It is so good!!! I love it!!! I don’t need a Permit in my State (I live in Colorado, just like Dr. Seward!!!) Yah, it wood make a great breeding project, you’d sure make lots of money off of single specimens!!! I can’t wait to get one down the road!!! That’s going to be fun!!! Good luck!!!

LGL

08/30/04  09:40am

Mr.mike
View Profile

Message To: LGL   In reference to Message Id: 132088

if they wernent a protected species you could go to arizona during the fall and catch some eggs isint there a gila river i never heard of anyone keeping them as pets though

09/08/04  04:22pm

LGL
View Profile

Message To: Mr.mike   In reference to Message Id: 138833

I know of a few people who keep them as pets. They’re pretty cool once you learn about them!!!

LGL

09/09/04  07:25pm

LizardKing
View Profile

Message To: LGL   In reference to Message Id: 139461

i just found out that as long as you don’t live in a state where they are found (california, new mexico, arizona, etc) then you don’t need a permit to have one. you need the proper id and papers that state its captive bred tho, they are protected.
their not really a "pet" mike, they are very interesting and beautiful and i want to try breeding them in the future. you shouldn’t hold them a lot, but they are fascinating.

09/09/04  08:33pm

Mr.mike
View Profile

Message To: LizardKing   In reference to Message Id: 139499

i did not mean a pet pet like you could play whith i never heard of people haveing them period.. i agree that they are a facinating
animal though im thinking of the ferourcouis GILA MOSTER!!!

09/10/04  02:55pm

Flip21
View Profile

Message To: Mr.mike   In reference to Message Id: 139833

Yes they are very intresting, I lucky enough (when I lived in Arizona) to see a few in the wild. They are actually closely realted to monitors. The are very closely related to the earless monitor, a subteranian mystery lizard.

09/14/04  11:12pm

Dragón_Dorado
View Profile

Message To: Flip21   In reference to Message Id: 142401

I want a Gila Monster!

10/19/04  11:00pm

Rishdude
View Profile

Message To: Dragón_Dorado   In reference to Message Id: 166105

me too. even though the other day I found one, Im so stupid I shouldve kept it!

11/13/04  12:34pm

Ccole
View Profile

Message To: LizardKing   In reference to Message Id: 131974

Gilas are great yes.I will be dealing with Gila ranch only because i wont have to have them shiped.True no deth has been directly to gila venom BUT they are nothing to be taken lightly.They have a potent venom and "some discomfort" is not a good way to to put the effects of the venom.An envenomation is a VERRY costly and pailful experiance and your insurance most likly wont cover it.Now that sed The breeder I will be buying from has been bitten 3 times and the pain was reported to be sevear but he never did go to the hospital.The adults are easeyer to deal with then neonates as it is with most reptiles.And Dr.sewards web site recomends a good thick pair of leather gloves.When you get your gila be sure to go to emeds.com and print out the report on symptoms and treatment for bites so if you get bitten you can take it to the ER with you.Other then that they are awsem animals and I am going crasey waiting for my email from the Gila ranch.

11/17/04  12:37pm

Boamaster200
View Profile

Message To: Ccole   In reference to Message Id: 183407

yes i also might want one down the road. i just want to know are they placid or are beaded lizards placid? just asking but i would really like a answer. also wat i think is really cute about gilas are that they are sooooo tickleish LOL. the breeder i got my rosy from told me that. even showed me how tickleish they were. it was sooooooo funny.

12/28/04  01:55am

LGL
View Profile

Message To: Boamaster200   In reference to Message Id: 206997

I’m not sure, but I think Gilas are, by the way my friends acted. He didn’t even seem to really notice us looking at him from like 8" away.

LGL

12/30/04  11:55am

Dubious1
View Profile

Message To: LGL   In reference to Message Id: 208838

Can you import them into canada? They are very interesting. Won,t sit well with mom right now.

01/08/05  02:17am

LGL
View Profile

Message To: Dubious1   In reference to Message Id: 216023

I’m not sure if you can. Oh, and my last post should have read: "I’m not sure, but I think Gilas are, by the way my friend’s Gila acted. He didn’t even seem to really notice us looking at him from like 8" away."

LGL

03/26/05  10:59am

HEATHER23
View Profile

Message To: Mr.mike   In reference to Message Id: 138833

Hi Mr Mike,

As a native of Arizona (one of the few - we usually dont claim it in public - but I like you guys!) let me say... Yes, there is a Gila (pronounced He - la) River, there is a valley by that name and there used to be a town by that name too (my gram was born there - not much of a spot - grocery store/post office and that was it - not even a gas station (didn’t have cars then)
The Gila monster (beaded lizard) is a beautiful creature - but like most things that live in the desert southwest they 1) don’t like to be messed with and 2) are dangerous.
I have also heard that they ain’t bad eating - but like iguana - I’ll be taking someonelse word on that!

Best of luck getting your hands on one - and their mouth off of you if they ever bite!

03/28/05  04:03pm

Gecko man
View Profile

Message To: HEATHER23   In reference to Message Id: 289340

i dont know. ive heard that gilas are pretty calm animlas and arent easily scared and stressed out. sounds like a small poisonous monitor to me

04/02/05  10:05am

Tino
View Profile

i am very intersted in them as they are beatiful with venom.

04/23/05  06:24pm

Clawmarks
View Profile

Message To: Tino   In reference to Message Id: 320385

I lived in Arizona since I was three and moved when I was 15. We used to find them in the desert near our house and we found a couple while we were out hunting.

04/25/05  10:11pm

Gaboon
View Profile

I have owned Gila monsters in the past. They are great animals, and they become "tame" fairly quickly. However, they are very expensive and it doesn’t make a lot of sense to have only one. If you’re going to own them, you ought to breed them (easier said than done).

Once a Gila monster ("GM") calms down, you can handle them fairly easily. Remember they are highly venomous. They bite from side-to-side, so if you hold one by the tail and rest him on your arm you’ll probably be pretty safe. Just don’t stick you finger towards him on a horizontal plane.

It’s interesting to watch a GM "run" down a mouse in a bathtub. The GM plods along, the mouse runs. But the mouse doesn’t really know what’s going on and soon stops. That’s its final stop.

Whatever you do, do not feed GMs a lot of raw eggs. Mice dipped in egg are okay, as is ground beef dipped in egg. But pure egg will produce the most foul-smelling droppings you can imagine! I’m not sure even the GMs like the smell.

Good luck.

07/30/05  09:42pm

Back to Gila Monster-Beaded Lizard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area