Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mrs.kate   MercuryFT   Mrs.kate   FelixatNJ   Lady Mudpuppy   Wolflover426   Wolflover426  

Member  Message

Mrs.kate
View Profile

New to fat tails

So my son has been wanting a lizard; after figuring a bearded dragon is expensive and gets too big I decided to go with an african fat tail after hearing that they were docile and needed less room and equiptment.

We’ve had Sandfire about 4 days, and he has pooped twice and and appears healthy but I am worried that he hasn’t eaten.
He doesn’t appear stressed, but I’m not sure about the humidity and feeding.

Right now he has a 10 gal tank, with reptile carpet, on one side is his water dish and the other is a heating pad. the small for 10-20 gal tanks. IN the middle is the hide positioned partly on the heating pad side and partly on the cooler side. (UNtil i get smaller hides for each side.) I also have a 60 watt infared heat bulb over his tank.

I went and bought a soil that is by Miricale Gro that says it’s a organic mix of sphagnum peat moss, composted bark and natural fertilizer....( pasteruized poultry litter) I don’t know if this is safe. And if not what should i buy and where? I’ve been reading they need this for the humidity, DO I REALLY need to add this moss to my set up? Or would the eco bark be a better choice?
Some say to mist some say don’t. Is he getting enough humidity with the head pad and an overhead infared 60 watt night bulb? or is it going to be too warm> PLEASE help me. My son loves this lizard and i might even want one my self. We love Sandfire alot already!

05/12/11  09:14pm

MercuryFT
View Profile

Message To: Mrs.kate   In reference to Message Id: 2218726

New to fat tails

It generally takes a while for a new reptile to get accustomed to it’s new surroundings. Generally geckos can go a good couple days without eating and if he is eliminating and doesn’t seem lethargic I wouldn’t worry just yet.

If after a week he still doesn’t seem interested in food, check the heat in thet ank cause it’s possible he’s too cold. Most likely just stressed and getting used to being some place new though!

05/15/11  08:09am

Mrs.kate
View Profile

Message To: MercuryFT   In reference to Message Id: 2219154

New to fat tails

Thanks MercuryFT, He still doesn’t seem interested in food and he has gotten on the skinny side. I have been trying to force feed him crickets every other day and offer some baby food to supplement. He does seem a tad lethargic...He doesn’t really check out his environment. And hasn’t eliminated in a few days although he has been fed half a dozen crickets this week. Overall he is looking less skinny and his eyes are bright and nose looks clear....Only thing is a small dry patch on head although i have provided a humidy box with moss....I am gonna try upping the amount of crickets to a few a day and hope he will start eating on his own. Doesn’t seem to like crickets in his cage:(

05/22/11  11:03am

FelixatNJ
View Profile

Message To: Mrs.kate   In reference to Message Id: 2220366

New to fat tails

Don’t worry to much about not eating. Every gecko is different. They generally take about a week to start eating, however i’ve had gecko not eat for up to 2.5 weeks. Keep in mind, this gecko was a proven breeder female at around 65grams. So even after losing weight, she wasn’t in any major danger.

You should avoid giving your gecko baby food. Baby food is not a natural part of their diet so, there is always a chance of it doing more harm then good.

As for humidity box, You don’t necessarily need moss or anything. It is just easier to maintain (requires less moistening). You can use paper towels and make sure its damped (this might require misting daily).

Do you have a thermometer? The hot side of the tank should be around 87degrees.

Do you only feed crickets? Maybe the crickets are just too hard for him to catch. I’d leave a few mealworms in a food dish and see if he enjoys them more.

goodluck

05/31/11  04:01pm

Lady Mudpuppy
View Profile

Message To: FelixatNJ   In reference to Message Id: 2221950

New to fat tails

I am an African Fat Tailed Gecko owner myself, and I have found that they all have different preferences. Some only eat once in a while. Mine gets her food every 2 weeks, 12 large crickets. Their tail is used to store fat, so they can fast for a while without being harmed. I have owned mine for 4 years. I find that a 10 gallon tank does just fine, and I recommend EcoEarth which is technically dirt. It comes in a block and when put in water it expands. I wish you good luck and hope that you find being a Fat Tailed owner to be quite fun and thrilling. Good luck!!

12/11/11  10:24am

Wolflover426
View Profile

Message To: Mrs.kate   In reference to Message Id: 2218726

New to fat tails

Hello!! I got a new fat tailed gecko myself a little while ago and found that is very useful to get a duel temperature and hyGrometer to test the temperature and humidity. I found that Luna (my gecko) likes the substrate that allows her to burrow. This allows her to cover herself from the sun if she wants to be closer to the heating pad. I used a mixture of coconut husk and peat moss because it absorbs the moisture but still allows her to make little caves in it. The temperature should be high 70s on one side and high 80s on the other during the day is what I discovered. I also found she likes a humidity of 50-70 though I have heard that others like it as low as 40. I only have a few live plants in there and two hides for her, though she prefers to burrow her own. Make sure the if you get a hide that it will be big enough to hold them when they are adults so you don’t have to buy another one. Hope this helps!

04/14/15  07:50am

Wolflover426
View Profile

Message To: Mrs.kate   In reference to Message Id: 2220366

New to fat tails

Quote:

Doesn’t seem to like crickets in his cage:(

Try not to leave more than two crickets in the cage if you are going to leave them in there as they will bite the gecko. Is his belly skinny? Because if that is what you are looking at to tell if he’s skinny then don’t. You tell how well fed your gecko is by looking at the base of his tail (where it meets his body, behind his legs). You may have to get some calcium supplement because it helps your gecko shed and helps keep him healthy. Let him eat at his own pace. He will know when he is hungry. Every gecko is different, mine eats like her life depends on it whenever I give them to her (every 2 days) and I give her as much as she will eat on those days. I almost never see my gecko moving around during the day unless I take her out to explore or if she is hunting crickets. Also, Luna (my gecko) doesn’t always hunt the crickets unless they hop in front of her face so try using a stick or something to herd the crickets near your gecko. Many geckos won’t eat the crickets unless they are moving though Luna has tried to eat a dead one before :D Couldn’t figure out why it tasted bad XD. Just reaffirming, most adult geckos are supposed to eat about 5 to 8 crickets every 2 days, though every gecko is different.

04/14/15  08:03am

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area