Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum

DYE.   DYE.   MercuryFT   Forknose  
 Member  Message

DYE.
View Profile

HELP! Is My Gecko Sick?

Hi, I have a 4-yr old male Fat Tail.
Today, when I came home I noticed that most of his tail was almost missing (as in shrunk) and that his belly looked bloated.
It’s been about 3-4 days since I last fed him because he usually eats every 2-3 days and this past few days the local petshop had run out of crickets. I only feed him crickets, and I dust them in calcium. He’ll usually eat about 8- 10 crickets each time.
I keep him in a 10 gallon cage. I use some kind of bark substrate (I’m not sure of the exact name, but it’s for geckos). The cool side of the cage ranges from 75-80 range and the hot side ranges from 87-90s range.
In the past week, he shed. Usually, he tends to stay inside his hide until after he has shed and for about 4 days after. But over the past few days, he’s been staying outside the cage around the bowl or near the area where he uses the bathroom.
I’ve heard of impaction, but I’m not sure if he has it or not. I was worried about this because sometimes he’ll eat a piece of bark with the cricket. But, he used the bathroom about a day or two ago.
I took him out today to check up on him, since I was worried about his tail. He seemed a lot more...quiet? to how I touched him. In the past, he’d move a bit more and stuff, but today he kinda just laid on my hand. When I set him down to let him run a bit, he did move. But the moment I put him back in his cage, he simply sat there in the same spot again.
I bought him some dusted crickets today when they were back in stock and put them in the cage. He refuses to eat and he simply looks away from them and takes a nap.
So, what should I do? I don’t want to lose him, but there is no vet (for reptiles) in the area that I can get to. Is he impacted? or do you think it’s something else?

04/04/11  05:58pm

DYE.
View Profile

Message To: DYE.   In reference to Message Id: 2212926

HELP! Is My Gecko Sick?

Okay, I looked at him a bit more in the light.
The underside of his belly appears a bit blueish? color. And his tongue seems white/pale yellow. But he was drinking water the other day and I changed the bowl out yesterday.

04/04/11  06:12pm

MercuryFT
View Profile

Message To: DYE.   In reference to Message Id: 2212929

HELP! Is My Gecko Sick?

If he has a darker underbelly and seems to be getting thinner you more than likely have a parasite.

05/15/11  08:10am

Forknose
View Profile

Message To: DYE.   In reference to Message Id: 2212929

HELP! Is My Gecko Sick?

Unfortunately it sounds very much like he has an impaction hence the blue/purple swelling in his gut. Take him to a vet urgently

05/25/11  03:42am

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area