Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum

Leo_Dude123   Hachuu   Sunkist girl   Starshine  
 Member  Message

Leo_Dude123
View Profile

Female AFT has a respiratory infection :( ???

Hey Guys, recently my female African Fat Tail hasn’t eaten in over a month I took her to the vet and got medicine to help with her infection because she had a cut on her mouth which got worse, but the medicine seems to be working. I’ve tried feeding her crickets, super worms, meal worms, butter worms but she just doesn’t seem interested in eating anything. She’s housed in a 10 gallon aquarium , hot side temperatures are 86-90, cold side temperatures are in the 70’s, her substrate is paper towel.

She seems to be losing a little bit of weight but not a whole lot. She seems to be coughing or almost sneezing whenever I try to feed her or check on her and I’m starting to get worried I’ve never had problems with this gecko before and I don’t know why this is happening can somebody please give me some advice on what to do?

06/06/10  06:43pm

Hachuu
View Profile

Message To: Leo_Dude123   In reference to Message Id: 2153771

Talk to your vet again, get a check-up

Hand feed it , maybe its shy put it in a 5g tank with a few crickets. They usually aren’t interested in worms, so keep trying crickets. Keep an eye on her weight, she can go very long without food, i think she is still fine, but when everything is fully healed she should start eating if she doesn’t for a while after FULLY healing then a vet trio is needed.

Go to the vet for a check up and tell him about the sneezing.

Chris

07/09/10  10:17pm

Sunkist girl
View Profile

Message To: Leo_Dude123   In reference to Message Id: 2153771

How long can they go withough food?

09/12/10  08:09pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Sunkist girl   In reference to Message Id: 2175173

AFT’s shouldn’t go more then 3 or 4 days without eating.

You mentioned she was on paper towel? That could be the problem right there, AFT’s unlike leopards need humidity.

Try getting her some coconut fiber as substrate, and mist the tank a few times a day to keep the humidity up. Higher humidity should stop the sneezing as well and improve her appetite.

Good luck

09/19/10  09:42am

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area