Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum

Kerry ann   Kerry ann   Starshine   Kerry ann   Starshine  
 Member  Message

Kerry ann
View Profile

Fat tailed Gecko is sick - please help!

We have a AFT named Cinnamon Chuck. CC has not had any changes to his environment, but is very sick it seems. He stopped eating about a week ago. One of his eyes will not open. We have the under tank heater for him and a humid hut. His tail is alarmingly skinny now - he has not had a really fat tail for a while - he seemed to keep it about medium for many years. He has always been house with the calcium sand, which I see now is not good for him - but he has had this substrate for 7 years with no problems. I’m afraid to change right now as I do not want to stress him out. He has pooped, so I don’t think it is an impaction issue. I gave him some olive oil around his mouth which he licked. I have taken him out the last three days and doused him in some warm water...he really didn’t like, but kept the episode short for him. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are very worried.

04/05/09  03:16pm

Kerry ann
View Profile

Message To: Kerry ann   In reference to Message Id: 1980596

There is one thing that we just realized is different this year from last year. We put a doggy door in the same room that CC is in. It has definitely had an effect on the temp in that room. Could that be his problem? We moved him to the familly room 1. so we can keep an eye on him 2. so he wouldn’t be in the doggy door room anymore. The thing that worries me is his tail is so skinny. His belly and girth seem to be normal though. Will he be ok not eating for a few days when he has no surplus in his tail?

04/05/09  04:00pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Kerry ann   In reference to Message Id: 1980611

Hello kerry ann
I’m sorry your AFT is sick.

I would strongly suggest a vet visit, due to loosing fat storage’s, your baby could have parasites, or it could have a respiratory infection if it’s temps dropped too low due to the doggy door.

While you are waiting to see the vet, you can just make sure the temps are up high enough, high 80’s low 90’s, and at least a 60% humidity level. And try feeding again

I would definitely get rid of the sand ASAP, coconut fiber is much better and will help hold the humidity as well. Your AFT could still be partially impacted from the sand, pooping just means it hasn’t fully clogged yet, not that it isn’t there which is another very good reason to see a vet.

What vitamins are you using, and how often? and are you using any lighting/heating?

Best of luck :)

04/05/09  06:51pm

Kerry ann
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1980670

Hi, thanks so much for your response.

He has a UVB light, and an under the tank heater. We use Herpcare cricket dust and feed the crickets fluker’s orange cubes. We will change the substrate asap. My husband is picking up hopefully some new stuff on his way home. He still likes to be petted - does his usual raise the back and get up on all is legs and follow my pet thing, so that seems to be a good sign. We will try another cricket later. I don’t know how close or soon a gecko vet can be done, but I will start looking now. Thanks again.

04/05/09  07:25pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Kerry ann   In reference to Message Id: 1980682

You are most welcome kerry ann

Still enjoying to be petted is a good thing. :)

Being nocturnal AFT’s don’t NEED a UVB lighting as long as they get their vitamins and calcium dusted crickets. Personally I do have some for my girls, because when we got them I was living in a basement apartment and we had very little natural lighting coming in the room where they were.

If you can’t get new stuff tonight, try plain paper towel, a lot of people use it for Leo’s and some for AFT’s. It’s definitely better then sand.

Best of Luck :)

04/06/09  05:21am

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area