Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum

Sovereigngale   AllHailRain   Sovereigngale   AllHailRain   Sovereigngale   AllHailRain   Leah_Lizard  
 Member  Message

Sovereigngale
View Profile

A little sad...

Neal’s been clicking at me recently when I pick him up to handle him, and I’ve been going about it in the way I’ve always have. A few nights ago he did this sneeze-sounding thing the vet told me was a high sign of stress. Nothing out of the ordinary has happened to him so recent that I’ve seen could’ve caused this...

Might he be reacting to parasites or something? I’ve been keeping his crickets in their container for a week or so before feeding him, so that doesn’t seem so likely. I’m just confused and worried...

03/03/09  06:27pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1962559

A little sad...

i would say to give him a break from handling then do it less often. they may like to be handled, but not in excess..which could easily stress him out.
even though they’re mellow geckos, they are reptiles..and unlike most pets, they’d rather be by themselves for the most part.

i rarely handle ember more than once every two weeks to a month, and even then it’s limited. but he knows who i am, and if i take him out of the house for some reason he clings to me when he’s scared. and he won’t let anyone else hold him, just me.
he still knows i’m a protector ’mom’ figure of some sort even though i don’t handle him much. so don’t worry about losing a relationship with him if you handle him less often. my ember displays obvious affection when he’s with me, but i believe he appreciates his alone time in which he thinks he’s wild. :)

03/04/09  10:51pm

Sovereigngale
View Profile

Message To: AllHailRain   In reference to Message Id: 1963335

A little sad...

Completely understandable, of course. (:

The thing that bothers me though, is that he’s acting different nowadays. I’ve had him for a little over a year, and just now he’s starting to fidget. =/

03/05/09  08:52pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1963789

A little sad...

well, i guess time and patience is the only answer.
or if you got him when he was younger, he may have just reached adulthood and decided that he’s going to be less tolerable. lol
but if not, he’s probably just being a grumpy gecko. it happens :)

03/06/09  04:34pm

Sovereigngale
View Profile

Message To: AllHailRain   In reference to Message Id: 1964161

A little sad...

I talked to my friend, and we figured it could also be the change of seasons effecting him, since some animals get a little finicky around springtime.

03/06/09  06:58pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1964223

A little sad...

well, he should be coming out of brumation as well, but i don’t know how that would affect attitude. he’ll just eat more and be more active in spring.

03/10/09  01:29pm

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: AllHailRain   In reference to Message Id: 1966115

A little sad...

maybe alex broke up with him lol

03/12/09  05:30pm

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area