Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum

Herp Helper   Starshine   Herp Helper   Starshine   Herp Helper   Starshine   Sovereigngale   Leah_Lizard   Sovereigngale   Starshine   Sovereigngale   Herp Helper   Starshine   Herp Helper   Starshine   Herp Helper  
 Member  Message

Herp Helper
View Profile

Heating Questions

Okay so, I am thinking of getting a better heating pad because I think that my Exo Terra heating pad (i have a extra-small size) just isn’t creating enught heat).

At my local pet store they have the Fluker’s brand heating pads and on the Fluker’s packaging they say that the pad get to about 100 degrees F.

Is that a too much for a AFT? It is winter where I live and it gets kinda cold (not cold enough for my other pets to die but cold enough that I’m worried about my AFT getting too cold since they are from a warm climate than my other pets.

Well I would love some personal feed-back and any comments would be appreciated.

For substrate I have about 1/2 to 1 inch of dryish Eco Earth.

Thanks!!!

H H

01/20/09  04:01pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Herp Helper   In reference to Message Id: 1935832

Heating Questions

I have a large UTH on my gecko’s, and they are good, with the coconut stuff I have it makes where it’s at about 78/81 depending how cold it is in the house, ( so I do use a low watt ceramic heater too).

You can also use a regular heating pad, the ones for people, that has the low/med/high settings on it. I’d only suggest that either one, you have a temp gage to monitor how hot it does get to be sure the gecko doesn’t get burnt. If you are finding it gets a little too warm, you can add a little more earth, or place something under the earth like a small piece of tile.

Good luck, Hope this helps a little :)

01/20/09  08:43pm

Herp Helper
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1936041

Heating Questions

Okay, what is a ceramic heater???

I thought that AFTs (aftican fat tails) need a temp of atleast a 90 degree f. warm spot of the tank.

Cuz i have heard people say that if the temp is too hot then the gecko will just move to the cooler hide but mine is usually in the warm hide.

Thanks for the input, I really didn’t know what to expect from people.

H H

01/22/09  03:41pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Herp Helper   In reference to Message Id: 1937221

Heating Questions

Your most welcome for the reply :)
A ceramic heater is like a light bulb ( but shaped flat), and it only gives off heat, no light. AFT"s do need the higher temps, which is why I use the ceramic heater, without it, it’s only low 80’s.

For the longest time, my girls would stay in their warm hides too, most likely because it would also be the moistest of the two, and when I brought them from the pet store, they has been on sand. Now they use both equally.

Hope this helps :)

01/22/09  07:38pm

Herp Helper
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1937388

Heating Questions

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..................now that i think about it I have seen something like that.

I have a gecko manual (leopard and african fat tail) and it says to keep them between 82 and 90 farenheit.

Would a infared work okay??? Like the exo terra kind?

My AFT is in a 10 gallon tank. What would you suggest for a bulb size.

Oh, and one other question (i have alot of questions). What do you use for vitamin/mineral supplement and calcium stuff??? How often do you use it? (okay more than one question)

Thanks,

H H

01/23/09  03:17pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Herp Helper   In reference to Message Id: 1937895

Heating Questions

LOL, I had a manual too...... but after doing a lot of reading, I tossed it in a corner, seems it was ok for a leopard gecko, but way off for my AFT.

Some people use infared to be able to watch them at night since they are nocturnal, personally, I don’t. So that would be up to you.

For a ten gallon, I would go with a 100w ceramic heater with thermostat so you can turn it up or down as needed, depending how cold it gets where you are.But you still need an under the tank heater, they need belly heat to help them digest.

For vitamins, I am using the only semi proper thing I can get my hands on for now, (Bone-aid micro stick calcium powder) phosphorus free and I dust with this every third feeding, and (rep-cal) multivitamins that they get every fourth feeding, and every second feeding I slightly dust with a mix of both. ( confusing I know) but my girls eat weird compared to others. I know there is a vitamin you can get for leopard geckos, and that is what the vet suggested I use if I could find it, around here it’s almost 30 bucks for a small bottle, and with the stuff I do have they get the same as they would from it at less cost.

Hope this helps :)

01/24/09  03:57pm

Sovereigngale
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1938604

Heating Questions

As for the heating, you don’t necessarily need to get an under-tank heater. Neal has this plastic log thing that heats up his whole cage (about 80’s in temperature), and I find him sitting on it when I wake up.

01/24/09  10:59pm

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1938934

Heating Questions

thats dangerous like a heat rock isn’t it

01/25/09  08:54pm

Sovereigngale
View Profile

Message To: Leah_Lizard   In reference to Message Id: 1939714

Heating Questions

Vet told me it was fine. I can rest my hand on it; it’s warm, but not enough to burn.

01/25/09  09:59pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1939776

Heating Questions

They are dangerous, I love my girls too much to chance anything like that in their tanks, which is why I didn’t bother mentioning them at all.

01/26/09  04:52am

Sovereigngale
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1939940

Heating Questions

Of course heat rocks are dangerous.

But this thing’s made of plastic, and I was told by an expert it’s fine.

01/26/09  02:54pm

Herp Helper
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1940172

Heating Questions

Well, okay thanks for the input.

Do all Ceramic Heaters come with a thermometer???

Will I need to buy a Rehostat (i think i spelled it wrong) ???

Yes, heat rocks are definitely dangerous.

H H

01/26/09  03:12pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Herp Helper   In reference to Message Id: 1940186

Heating Questions

Ceramic heaters are just a bulb type thing that plug into a light socket. As a rule they don’t come with anything. What I did with mine was get a fixture with a dimmer switch so I could adjust it.
So the fixture that hold my ceramic heaters are from a hardware store, I think they are originally for shop work or something, but they work great for me.

:)

01/27/09  05:36am

Herp Helper
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1940598

Heating Questions

Could you give the company you use for the ceramic bulbs???

Cuz i went to my 2 local petstores yesterday and i didn’t see a "ceramic bulb" in either of their light bulb selections.

I also used my little Fluker’s thermometer circle thingy and i took my AFT out for 5 min and played with her (her name is Ekko) and while i was playing with her i put the thermometer inside the warm hide and when i pulled it out it said about 89 to 90 degrees farenheit.

I think im okay.

I also just got new calcium and vitamin/mineral powder for all my pets.

Thanks for answering all my questions.

H H

01/28/09  03:17pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Herp Helper   In reference to Message Id: 1941624

Heating Questions

You are most welcome :)

The ceramic heater I use is an EXO TERRA heat wave lamp.....heater..... this should be a link to them, if it works.

best of luck :)

01/28/09  03:37pm

Herp Helper
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1941645

Heating Questions

Okay, thanks!!!

I have never seen those in any pet store and I’m already special ordering a Exo Terra glass tank from my local pet store and don’t want to over do it with special ordering things.

Now all I have to do is find one of those hardware store light fixtures with a dimmer switch. No Prob. lol

Hmmmm.............maybe I’ll just get a bigger tank when I have the money and upgrade everything then.

Or maybe I’ll go with a infa-red exo terra light bulb.

IDK what I’m going to do but everything has really helped with my decision.

Yeah, I’ve heard about people using the dimmer switches for light bulbs.

Exo Terra is a good company I really trust them.

H H

01/29/09  04:23pm

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area