Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum

Sovereigngale   Starshine   Sovereigngale   Leah_Lizard   AllHailRain   Sovereigngale   AllHailRain   Sovereigngale  
 Member  Message

Sovereigngale
View Profile

Neal’s Swollen Eye

Last night I noticed Neal’s upper eyelid was bulging, as if the ’crest’ was stretched. He closes it as well and as often as the other one. He just ate that morning, so I’m not sure if he’ll eat like this or not. He’s really "panicky" when I take him out; he usually just sits there on my hand for a few seconds before deciding to move, doing so slowly. When I take him out he walks quickly, right away (because of stress, I imagine).

I’ve googled some answers, some of which suggest an abscess under the eyelid, swelling from leftover skin shed, too forceful of a pull on the skin shed around the eye, a cricket bite, a fight injury (I have no other gecko so this isn’t the case), and some others.

My parents said we should wait a few days to see what happens; so he’s going to go to the vet sometime this week. Meanwhile I’m going to be giving him antibacterial that my vet gave him for his mouth infection ’bout 6 months back, to see if that alleviates his eye at all.

I’d like some opinions from you guys, though.

01/17/09  09:35am

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1933840

Neal’s Swollen Eye

Please check to make sure the antibiotics are still good for one thing, call the vet and ask if it can also be used for the eye, some meds are only good for certain things, and I’m sure you don’t want to do more harm then good :)

Make sure the temp and humidity are right, and that there is no loose substrate that can get into the eye and cause more aggravation.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for the poor baby:) Hopefully someone else has more helpful suggestions for you.
Good luck:)

01/17/09  10:30am

Sovereigngale
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1933861

Neal’s Swollen Eye

He’s on coconut fiber at the moment, with humidity in the green/blue range on his hygrometer. The temps are as high as I can get them at the moment (truthfully I’m not sure; I have to buy another thermometer soon). He’s only got his heat log thing (told by my vet that it was fine, not to hot, etc) to warm up the cage and it does pretty well, just probably a shade cooler than the cage should be.

There appears to be no expiration date on the antibacterial, and it was given to me for an infection before. She told me it wouldn’t hurt to give it to him a few days of the month to guarantee that he doesn’t keep getting coccidia, which means it’ll not hurt him, infection or not.

I appreciate the concern. (:

01/17/09  12:43pm

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1933918

Neal’s Swollen Eye

At least he going to the doctor. I hope he gets better. Good luck Neal.

01/18/09  08:01pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1933918

Neal’s Swollen Eye

if the medicine for coccidia is probably a yellow, milk consistency liquid called Albon, it’s a dewormer very specific to coccidia alone, and is not an antibiotic.

i’ve never heard of giving an antibiotic for parasites, so just wanted to clear that up.
but if it is an antibiotic, it won’t hurt him, but if it’s not the kind he needs right now, it will lower his general immune system just an itty bitty bit.

sounds like you’re taking really good care of him though, keep us posted on what vet says. :]

01/19/09  12:37pm

Sovereigngale
View Profile

Message To: AllHailRain   In reference to Message Id: 1935025

Neal’s Swollen Eye

The bump on his eyelid is almost all gone. I think it was just a cricket bite. I’m not sure if he should go to the vet now, since his symptom has gone away. He’s not acting abnormal as far as holding him.

The stuff for Coccidia my vet gave me is yellow and milky, but she said there was antibiotic in there, too...

01/19/09  05:33pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Sovereigngale   In reference to Message Id: 1935196

Neal’s Swollen Eye

well, if she mixed it, then that would make sense. just the albon alone isn’t an antibiotic and there’s no reason to waste good dewormer. :]

as long as everything else is back to normal, i would say the vet visit is unnecessary unless you just want to make doubly sure.

01/20/09  09:13am

Sovereigngale
View Profile

Message To: AllHailRain   In reference to Message Id: 1935633

Neal’s Swollen Eye

As of this post, Neal’s eye is back to normal and his activity is back to normal as well.

I think I’ll skip the vet visit for now unless his eye acts up again. I’m going to try to feed him within the next couple of days to see if he’ll hunt.

Thanks for the help and opinions, everyone!

01/20/09  11:17am

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area