Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum

Starshine   Manderzratz   Starshine   Leah_Lizard   Starshine   AllHailRain   Manderzratz   AllHailRain   Starshine  
 Member  Message

Starshine
View Profile

Someone please?

Someone please please tell me that I can’t pass on a cold to my geckos ( their DNA has to be different or something...)???

Also I use a hot water vaporizer while I’m sick, I normally use vicks in it too, but haven’t been because I don’t know if it’ll bother the geckos. Any opinions??

11/20/08  02:04pm

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1902028

Someone please?

i know most animals like ferrets and small animals get influenza from humans not colds, so i doubt it. just take extra precautions of course. as for the vaporizer, i wouldn’t since i’m unsure. could you possibly move them somewhere else?

11/20/08  02:52pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Manderzratz   In reference to Message Id: 1902050

Someone please?

Hi manderzratz, Thanks for the reply :)

I haven’t been touching them or getting close to them at all cause I don’t want them sick. And thankfully hubby has been taking good care of them for me, they just don’t eat right for him. ( spoiled geckos)

I only have water in the vaporizer, just to be safe, haven’t been able to find anyone who knows if it would hurt them. Guess no one has asked that before lol.

As for moving them somewhere else, at the moment I can’t, we’re in the process of packing/moving, there’s no place for anything.....

11/20/08  03:23pm

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1902059

Someone please?

Just plain water should be fine (and they’ll probably enjoy the extra humidity) I don’t think colds can be passed from human to reptile, but I think you could give a cold to a hamster. You should be safe handling your reptiles, you might want to wash your hands first just incase.

11/20/08  05:56pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Leah_Lizard   In reference to Message Id: 1902140

Someone please?

Hi Leah :)

Hand washing is always a big rule here, Kids track in all kinds of nasty things and mom has a bad immune system lol. I normally spent most of the winter months sick in one way or the other.......( is it spring yet???)

Stimpy doesn’t like me sneezing, she ran away from me lol, Georga doesn’t seem to care, she’s happy sitting on my shoulder, but I’m no6t holding them long, just a minute so they don’t feel neglected.

11/20/08  07:13pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1902230

Someone please?

they cannot catch colds from you.
the viruses are completely different.

11/20/08  09:54pm

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Leah_Lizard   In reference to Message Id: 1902140

Someone please?

Quote:

but I think you could give a cold to a hamster.

her question was answered- but as for your statement...no you can’t. again they can get flus not colds.

11/20/08  10:52pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1902059

Someone please?

don’t use the vicks in the same room.
the extra stuff to breathe in the air cleans out your system, but clogs theirs. i don’t even spray perfume or use anything aerosol near my tanks.
because what animals get is ’upper respiratory infections’ which though humans recover from these fast, animals have a much harder time. from dogs, cats, reptiles, hamsters, birds...whatever. untreated, it can be extremely lethal. but as for us, me anyway, i never go on antibiotics for colds and i always just get through it. so upper resp. problems are on two completely different scales for us and them.

but thankfully, animal viruses are extremely different than human viruses and VERY few animals can catch colds from humans. your gecko is not one of them.
:)

didn’t have time to actually type before, so there’s my lengthy response lol.

11/21/08  12:05am

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: AllHailRain   In reference to Message Id: 1902435

Someone please?

Thanks AllHailRain :)

Until next weekend there is no place to put them that they would be safe from the vapor, soooo we found a solution.
I take them out, feed them at their normal times, then rub the vicks onto me . Then with my shower in the morning the vicks is gone, and my babies are safe.

11/21/08  07:18am

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area