Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum

Starshine   Manderzratz   AllHailRain   Starshine   Leah_Lizard   AllHailRain   Starshine   AllHailRain   Starshine   Starshine   Manderzratz   Starshine  
 Member  Message

Starshine
View Profile

Some info and questions

First Stimpy shed again :) and now she has tiny little claws coming in on her toes of her bad foot. Which I think is great, even if those toes are shorter then all her others. Her eating habits are still so so, she’ll only eat undusted crickets, and only if I start by hand feeding her. So I’m a little worried about getting her calcium into her... suggestions???

Someone on another site suggested giving her a mixture of, 1/3 water 1/3 pureed apricot ( or papaya) baby food and 1/3 honey with the calcium added to it....... This doesn’t sound like something I should be giving her, Comments?

Another concern I have is we are soon going to be moving to a bigger place. we are going to move both Geckos in their tanks in the back seat of a car ( about a ten minutes drive). Will this be overly stressful on them? And if so is there anything I can do to reduce their stress levels?

Thanks for the help :) And my babies appreciate it too

11/06/08  07:07am

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1893994

Some info and questions

for the move i’d say a smaller dark carrier so if someone cuts you off or even just an accidental stop, the geckos don’t go sliding around or worse, their hides squish ’em. the calcium thing-i put calcium with water and feed it that way to picky lizards.

11/06/08  07:34am

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1893994

Some info and questions

i’ve heard of people dusting just the bellies of crickets so the gecko can’t tell until he already eats it.
if you’re hand feeding anyway it’s not too much of an extra step.

i would get repti-aid at a petstore. get insectivore.
or carnivore care at a vet clinic.
both are cheap (5-10$ max) and you know they give the right nutrients. considering they’re carnivores and don’t eat fruits or veggies, i would not recommend the other girl’s recipe.

i’ve transported a few times, just make them secure (i choose putting them in a cricket carrier between my legs, or just on my arm lol.) or just padding the area so they can’t slide.
they’ll probably be stressed out that their actual home is changed, but i wouldn’t worry much about car ride stress.

11/06/08  03:28pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: AllHailRain   In reference to Message Id: 1894150

Some info and questions

For the car ride, I was going to sit in the back seat with a tank on each side, in case of having to stop suddenly then I would know they wouldn’t go anywhere. It was also suggested to me to cover them with a towel for the trip??

As far as vitamins, the pets store around me have nothing for geckos of any sort. It was after a long vet call that we determined that the t-rex Bone Aid calcium powder that the pet stores do carry will work for geckos as well. I’ve looked into ordering vitamins on-line, but so far haven’t been able to find any that will deliver to Moncton NB, It’s very frustrating!!

11/06/08  06:02pm

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1894230

Some info and questions

as for the papaya or apricot baby food i don’t thiink they should eat that either the only way i can get elmo to eat his mealworms is if i put baby food on them i used to use chicken but one day they ran out and my mom picked up turkey and thats his new favorite. I get the gerber chicken & chicken gravy or turkey or whatever the only ingerdients are chicken (or what ever meat) water and starch. i can’t get elmo to eat his calcium when i have they baby food soemtimes he either doesn’t like the taste or the texture

11/06/08  06:08pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1894230

Some info and questions

drsfostersmith.com is a good site

and i just found reptilesupply.com off of google.

i tried finding t-rex bone aid calcium powder online, but i couldn’t. get something that’s supposed to even out the cricket calcium-phosphorous ratio and has D3. that’s all you need.

you could try asking area petstores where they get supplies for their animals..like what companies, or where the workers who need things not in stock get it from.

11/06/08  07:56pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: AllHailRain   In reference to Message Id: 1894347

Some info and questions

Vitamins

That’s what I found, I am hoping it’s the right stuff. Please correct me if I am wrong. D3 is from sun and bulbs right?? they both have a bulb that emits that, and according to the vet this was ok?

the T-rex stuff is from my pets store, their site is t-rexproducts dot com I just found it on the bottle haven’t been to the site myself yet.

As for workers in the store where I got my babies.... well they don’t really know any better. And the one guy that has some knowledge is the one that suggested the calcium I have and a call to the vet.

11/06/08  09:36pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1894397

Some info and questions

D3 is from uva/uvb light, so if you have those you’re good.
but most people don’t buy those for aft’s because they only need the D3 as opposed to other reptiles needing the uva/uvb for a thousand reasons.

i just went to that site, the t-rex stuff looks good.
:)

11/07/08  12:48am

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: AllHailRain   In reference to Message Id: 1894482

Some info and questions

Perfect, now I just have to find a place to get it in Canada..... that site doesn’t ship here lol

11/07/08  05:10am

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1894497

Some info and questions

Well, I found this.....

Vitamins

So until I can get to Halifax to get the right ones, I am hoping these will do

11/07/08  05:49pm

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Starshine   In reference to Message Id: 1894750

Some info and questions

those are vitamins if you use the same brand rep cal but the pink label it is calcium and has d3.
this one

11/07/08  06:15pm

Starshine
View Profile

Message To: Manderzratz   In reference to Message Id: 1894764

Some info and questions

I know. No one in this town has the pink one though, and i do have a calcium for them that I can mix with this. They don’t need a D3 right now, because we are in a basement and get it from their lights which was needed to give them their day/night rotation.

Before xmas I’ll be going to Halifax, they’ll get the exact vitamins that they need then, I can’t do anything more then that, no one ships here without charging 30 bucks shipping, and no one in town carries the exact right stuff.

Maybe it’s time I open a supplies store????.....Anyone wanna be in charge of critters?? LOL

11/07/08  06:39pm

Back to Gecoks-Fat-Tailed Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area