Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mxracer   KrazyKelli   Mxracer  

Member  Message

Mxracer
View Profile

Mixing sub species

I was wondering what people thoughts were as to housing sub species together, more specifically two steno’s species. The Stenodactylus Mauritanicus and Stenodactylus Sthenodactylus. Looking forward to some thoughts and or opinions on this.

-Terry

07/18/13  08:52pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Mxracer   In reference to Message Id: 2299665

Mixing sub species

I wouldn’t advise it. Even if the care ends up being exact, one subspecies may be more dominant than the other, and they may stress. It would be like housing Tokay geckos with golden geckos. Both are Gekko genus, but Tokays are dominant aggressive and the other would sadly get its tail handed to it - or stubbornly starve itself to death from the stress.

The good news is that Steno’s are tiny, so you wouldn’t have any real problem finding two tanks.

The general rule with reptiles is to never mix species.

07/18/13  10:53pm

Mxracer
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2299667

Mixing sub species

Im not worried about space, I have a 8x4x4 cage for my monitor and ton’s of cages. I’ve never really been in this section of the forums, but I’ve kept monitors for the last 6 years and have been keeping all sort’s of snakes and lizards for 10 years now.

I just happen to come across this cool tiny gecko species and am really interested in keeping a few different sub species.

I’m thinking about building 3, 2x2x2 cages to stack.

-Terry

07/19/13  02:11pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area