Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CodyFord   Crotus   CodyFord   Crotus  

Member  Message

CodyFord
View Profile

Night bulb for crested gecko?

So, I’ve kept reptiles for years. I’ve always used red night bulbs on all of my animals.
Since my room stays 75-81 degrees, I don’t add any heat to my gecko.
Instead, I went out and bought a compact 13watt "party bulb." It’s on a clamp about 4-5 inched away from the tank. It is a /bit/ bright than my red heat bulbs on my snakes, but not noticeably. Do crested geckos mind red light? Or are their any other ways to supply night light to my geckos tank that you other owners recommend? He is active. He’s fairly new, after handling him for a few minutes tonight when I notice he was out (with the red bulb on), he went back to hiding. Is that just because of a little "new home" stress, or because of the light?
Note* He’s out now, moving around a bit.

So, basically, will this red bulb bother him at night? or should I just test it and see how active he is?
Any other recommend ways of night lighting for him?

The bulb:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100551852?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&N=5yc1v&R=100551852

05/05/13  11:45pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: CodyFord   In reference to Message Id: 2296882

I don’t think it will do any harm, but honestly I don’t think your gecko really needs it, since most geckos (except for a few such as day geckos) are mainly nocturnal creatures that are used to seeing in the dark; it’s what they do in their natural habitat and that’s why they have such large eyes with slitlike pupils. So I actually would recommend that you provide some full-spectrum fluorescent lighting during the day (it won’t harm the geckos, may benefit them, and will help any plants in the tank to grow) and set it on a timer to go off at night.

05/06/13  03:40pm

CodyFord
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2296908

Well, it’s not to benefit the gecko. It’s for night viewing so I can see them. Do you know any other way to make this possible?

05/06/13  11:26pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: CodyFord   In reference to Message Id: 2296952

Here, check this out please, it looks like it may be what you are looking for:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22818

05/07/13  03:00pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area