Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kelckmdo   Kelso reptiles   Kelso reptiles   Kelckmdo   Kelso reptiles   Kelckmdo   Kelso reptiles   Gnurph   Kelckmdo   Crotus   Kelso reptiles   Gnurph   Speck91854   Geckoboy111100  

Member  Message

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Geckos

does anyone know of a gecko that has similar needs of a anole

03/08/13  08:35pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2293445

Geckos

their are many species of geckos in the pet trade. many of which are very easy to care for, and common. now if by same care as anole, you mean easy care, then leopard geckos would be the way to go.
leopard geckos, can live best in a 10-20 gallon tank. with a heat source, you can use either light or under tank heater, but if using a light then i would use a red or other kind of night light heat light as they are mostly nocturnal. they are very easy to care for and really common with many mutation/morphs colors. they should be feed every 2 days, or everyday as hatching’s. they eat meal worms and crickets, and occasionally wax worms as a treat. a substrate of newspaper, paper towels, sand, can be used but if using sand make sure it is VERY finely sifted like 1/16 inch screened. a hide should be provided on both sides of the enclosure on warm side and cold. provide a water and food dish. Leos are very good and awesome pets, very calm.

if you were talking about care as in aboreal (climbs trees) then tokay, skunk/white lined, golden gecko, make good pets, though tokays are known to have a nippy attitude. their care is all very similar with each other. they need a 10-20 gallon, water-food dish, heat light hot-cold side, multiple hides and climbing branches. coconut bark or Eco earth as bedding or paper towels.
best of luck

03/08/13  08:53pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2293445

Geckos

their are many species of geckos in the pet trade. many of which are very easy to care for, and common. now if by same care as anole, you mean easy care, then leopard geckos would be the way to go.
leopard geckos, can live best in a 10-20 gallon tank. with a heat source, you can use either light or under tank heater, but if using a light then i would use a red or other kind of night light heat light as they are mostly nocturnal. they are very easy to care for and really common with many mutation/morphs colors. they should be feed every 2 days, or everyday as hatching’s. they eat meal worms and crickets, and occasionally wax worms as a treat. a substrate of newspaper, paper towels, sand, can be used but if using sand make sure it is VERY finely sifted like 1/16 inch screened. a hide should be provided on both sides of the enclosure on warm side and cold. provide a water and food dish. Leos are very good and awesome pets, very calm.

if you were talking about care as in aboreal (climbs trees) then tokay, skunk/white lined, golden gecko, make good pets, though tokays are known to have a nippy attitude. their care is all very similar with each other. they need a 10-20 gallon, water-food dish, heat light hot-cold side, multiple hides and climbing branches. coconut bark or Eco earth as bedding or paper towels.
best of luck

03/08/13  08:53pm

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2293450

Geckos

i am trying to find a gecko that doeset mind to be handled or not and can go with a green anole

03/08/13  09:51pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2293455

Geckos

sorry for the double post. like i said leopard geckos are very calm lizards, very handeble. though some adults can be not used to holding so time and patients can tame very easily. if you get one as a baby / hatching then it can be tamed very easy.
its best and should never be done, mixing animal species, never good. for instance one could have parasites but their two different turds one of which has parasites in it how do you know which lizard pooped it. and then if one has them then it most likely passed it on to the other animal. also most reptiles are solitary and don’t like company and will fight for territory. also very rarely do you find them with the exact same care.

03/09/13  01:46pm

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2293479

Geckos

Do you know of a gecko (besides house geckos)that can go with anoles

03/11/13  05:55pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2293560

Geckos

like i said before reptiles generally should never mbe mixed to gether regardless if they have the same cares. its better to just get another tank if youy really care about the reptile.

Quote:

its best and should never be done, mixing animal species, never good. for instance one could have parasites but their two different turds one of which has parasites in it how do you know which lizard pooped it. and then if one has them then it most likely passed it on to the other animal. also most reptiles are solitary and don’t like company and will fight for territory. also very rarely do you find them with the exact same care.

03/11/13  10:32pm

Gnurph
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2293580

Geckos

Kelso, regarding the solitary lizard bit, does that go for same-species? I only have 1, a western banded gecko, named Gobo. But what about possibly putting a 2nd westie in with Gobo? Would there likely be friction between the new gecko and the one thats been in the habitat for a few months? Or, putting 2 or even more (same species) together from the start?

I confess I know very little about lizards and reptiles. I’m used to birds that actually do better when put with more birds. Right now I have a conure and two cockatiels, and they all get along fine.

03/12/13  04:16am

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: Gnurph   In reference to Message Id: 2293592

Geckos

i don’t know much about reptiles ether i am used to fish but i wanted to start reptiles

03/12/13  11:37am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Gnurph   In reference to Message Id: 2293592

Geckos

With most geckos, a male can live peacefully with 1 or more females of the same species, in fact it probably is happier that way than by itself. But more than one male should not be kept together because they are territorial and will fight. (They are surprisingly similar to humans in some ways! :-))

03/12/13  04:00pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2293621

Geckos

@ Gnurph
well, it depends on the reptile itself, some prefer to be solitary. i have kept many western banded geckos before, and have found some hate to be together, while some do well in little groups. if you plan on keeping two western banded geckos together just make sure to have two of everything, i.e feeding dishes, hides etc. and watch for signs of dominance by one another and stress, such as not eating. reptiles just arnte generally group animals, you rarely see them together in the wild except fighting for territory, females, or Domenic.
@Crotus
you may think that they live happier with more company, but they don’t, sure they may tolerate it, but 9 times out of 10 they would prefer to be solitary. yeah you might ask yourself is my reptile lonely and think he is, but their not, as long as they have every thing they need in care wise they are happy. even two or more females can fight and for dominance. which can lead to stress which will lead to not eating and could get sick or die.
also like previously said, one could have parasites or a disease and you don’t know which one it was then you have to treat both, because the other one probably contracted it.
@ everyone, yeah it doesn’t really matter "how much you know" where not them, we don’t really know what they want in everything. i by no means am a "genius" or intelligent when it comes to reptiles, i may be a little smart, but that’s only cause i have dedicated my life to reptiles. i love them. i started off like everyone else i went out caught some and stuffed them into jars and what not. then i read and watched shows on them and read some more. i hate reading but if its about reptiles i can read till theirs no tomorrow.

03/12/13  10:34pm

Gnurph
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2293654

Geckos

No plans to get a second westie. Didn’t plan on getting the first, truth be told. But if one did fall into my life like Gobo did (found in garage in January) just curious about what to expect.

03/14/13  07:10pm

Speck91854
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2293449

Geckos

Can u catch one that IA in your house? I am thinking putting out a bowl of water. I do not want to kill it for sure.

05/24/13  07:44am

Geckoboy111100
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2293455

Geckos

a crested gecko cuz skunk/golden geckos dont like bieng handled so definently a crested gecko.

06/28/13  01:33pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area