Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chono127   Gnurph   Gnurph   Chono127   Kelso reptiles   Gnurph   Gnurph  

Member  Message

Chono127
View Profile

Lied to about my gecko

I hav had this gecko for a year now Neptune is his name I come to find out today that the pet store told me he was a marble but turns out he’s a crocodile gecko I’m pretty upset cuz I hav been caring for him wrong anything that can help me would be huge I also double decked two 10 gallon tanks

02/12/13  06:29pm

Gnurph
View Profile

Message To: Chono127   In reference to Message Id: 2291917

Lied to about my gecko

That’s a very nice looking gecko. Sucks that you’ve been ’caring for him wrong’ for a year, but good that he’s alive and seemingly healthy. When I got my gecko (01/01/2013), a western banded, Petco gave me information for tropical lizards... western bandeds are desert dwellers. But I’d already read up on them on this website, so I knew (basically) what to get and what not get.

I have only a small amount of gecko experience myself, but Google search yeilded these- http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/1292.html & http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3893720 (scroll down midway for the care & feeding part)

Which is almost exactly the same as the Western Banded Gecko... Except for the bit about a heat mat- Everything I’ve read has said never never never have a heat mat, stick to heat lamps. But then again, I’m not an expert with lizards. Tropical birds, I am an expert.

Hope that helped, if even just a little

02/14/13  04:34am

Gnurph
View Profile

Message To: Gnurph   In reference to Message Id: 2292033

Lied to about my gecko

And I have a question for you... how docile / handlable is your gecko? My western banded- named Gobo- is starting to tolerate my presence. I pick him up and he doesn’t freak out anymore. He’s gotten used to the feeding routine, and perks up a bit when I open up his habitat. But not very handlable, at least not yet.

02/14/13  04:40am

Chono127
View Profile

Message To: Gnurph   In reference to Message Id: 2292034

Lied to about my gecko

Thanks he is pretty healthy well that’s just it he doesn’t like to be touched at all as soon as I open the cage he darts for the cave ill enclose a photo I think it’s because he was cared for wrong for so long :(..another question since I just started using heat lamps....one do I place the light right on top of the cage? Right now I have a purple light which is the same as a red I leave that on 24 hours a day everyday but I’m wondering if I can use the hotter bulb during the day and the purple at night....I just scared ill fry him if I leave the heat lamp on while I’m at work during the day u kno?! Any ideas?!

02/16/13  11:55am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Chono127   In reference to Message Id: 2292207

Lied to about my gecko

sorry to hear you didn’t get what you wanted. well crocodile geckos aka Moorish wall geckos, are pretty aggressive. maybe with some care and handling, and a few bites hear and their ha ha, he might be able to be tamed. they are kinda like Tokay’s, aggressive but can be tamed. if the light is in fact purple and not blue you can just keep using that all day/night. you can also use the red night all day/night. well it depends on the temps they should have a basking area of about 85-87 with a cold side of about 78-80 and a night temp of about no lower then 70 i would keep it about 75 at night, being allowed to cool down if the lizard gets too hot or too cold he can switch from spot to spot. it best to get a digital thermometer, which will cost only about 20 bucks for a good one at the pet store. NOT those sticky ones you stick to the in closer those are very inaccurate. and mist the walls and furnishings of the cage about 1-2 times a day for humidity/drinking since they barely drink from a bowl, though one should always be in the cage filled just in case
best of luck

02/16/13  11:31pm

Gnurph
View Profile

Message To: Chono127   In reference to Message Id: 2292207

Lied to about my gecko

I have 2 heat lamps with diff bulbs... Both have Exo Terra bulbs, 1 daytime (60 watt, white light, avg temp 80 - 85) and 1 nightime (50 watt, purple light, avg temp 70 - 75). I have the daytime one on all day, and switch to the nighttime one when I put the birds to bed, usually midnight until 8 am. He hides in his cave all day, rins around and / basks all night.

I was using Zilla brand, but they kept burning out- 2 daytimes and 1 nightime bulb burned out in 3 weeks. Switched to Exo Terra, haven’t burned out in over a month and Gobo’s color is more vibrant.

Again, I’m no expert, just my experience / observations there.

02/18/13  05:10pm

Gnurph
View Profile

Message To: Gnurph   In reference to Message Id: 2292369

Lied to about my gecko

And yes, I put the heat lamps right on top, roughly 18 inches over his cave.

02/18/13  05:14pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area