Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gnurph   Gnurph   Kelso reptiles   Gnurph   Kelso reptiles   Gnurph  

Member  Message

Gnurph
View Profile

Found a Western Banded Gecko, not sure if eating. Need help.

So, on 01/01/2013 I found a Western Banded Gecko in my unheated garage. I took him inside, and kind of fell in love with the little guy. On the 2nd, I named him Gobo, and spent over $100 in habitat, food and accessories. But I’m very concerned about his survival.

I’ve had Gobo for 5 days now, and can’t tell if he’s eating. Everything I’ve read says that Western Bandeds are very similar to Leopard Geckos, so I bought him Leopard Gecko food (which is basically dried flies) as well as dried mealworms, and repvite/cal. I also have a water dish in his tank, and it was dry this morning. I don’t know if he’s been drinking it, or if it evaporated (I live in the Mohave desert, in AZ).

Today I’m buying him some live mealworms, becuase that will be easier to keep track of whether or not he eats them. Also, I believe that it’ll entice him.

My pet experience is as follows- I’ve had pet birds my entire life, and currently have 3 birds. I had an Iguana for a few years. Technically it was my ex-wifes Iguana, but I took care of him, and he liked me better. But that was about 15 years ago, and Iguanas are very different from Geckos, I know.

Any advice and help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. I haven’t really had a chance to get to know little Gobo yet, and would like to.

01/06/13  02:11pm

Gnurph
View Profile

Message To: Gnurph   In reference to Message Id: 2289002

P.S. If little Gobo isn’t eating or drinking, how long will he live? And I’ve read / heard of misting. Any tips on misting the little guy?

01/06/13  02:26pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Gnurph   In reference to Message Id: 2289003

hello their, Ive kept western banded geckos for many years. i live in the Mojave desert, CA
they do best in a 10-20 gallon tank which can hold up to about 5 or 6 adults as long as they don’t fight with each other. the tank should be misted daily or when needed to keep the sand damp but not wet, just a couple spays. they do best on fine meshed sand, with a few logs/ flat rocks. they tend to burro under these, and you can even go the distance to help them by starting a burro about an inch, and they will tend to burro more. they are nocturnal. in captivity, they should live anywhere from 5-10 years or more if kept in good condition. PLEASE do not feed meal worms as they can be tough on their stomach’s, they do best on live crickets, which move more, to entanch them with their sight and movement.

01/19/13  04:21pm

Gnurph
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2290025

Thanks for the response. I’ve had Gobo for 19 days now, and he’s doing pretty good. I’ve been giving him mealworms, 3 at a time, 2x per week and crickets, 5 at a time 1x per week. The crickets run around his habitat for 2-3 days till he picks them off. His energy level is way up from where it was when I first posted.

I haven’t switched to real sand yet. A bag of that (at the pet store, specifically for geckos and such) runs about $10 and money is just too tight right now. But when I do, I’ll mist the sand daily (as needed) like you said, just damp not wet.

Now my only concern (curiosity really) is how handlable he’ll get. I have birds that I pick up, pet, carry around etc. I don’t expect quite that much from the gecko, but are Westies typically pick-up-and-pet-able?

01/20/13  08:24pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Gnurph   In reference to Message Id: 2290111

no problem. these guys are great aren’t they. like i said try to get rid of the meal worms as their exoskeleton is kinda hard on their stomachs. well i wasn’t really talking about the sand at pet stores, actually if your talking about the sand at stores, that stuff should never be used it just clumps up their intestines. i was just talking about going outside and screening some sand enough to level about 2 inches. um as for handling, it really just depends on the lizard, i had some that didn’t mind it, but then i had some that would squeak (yes they squeak when feel threatened.) and would go crazy. but all in all they are pretty cool. wish they were more common in the trade but then again i don’t just because not many people keep them so its kinda cool. i haven’t had them in a while, though i still find plenty while i go herping. i used to keep and breed 8-20 at a time. any info needed just respond to this post or message me best of luck to you

01/20/13  10:47pm

Gnurph
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2290120

I’ve heard the squeak! I read up on the day I found him, when he was ’camping out’ in a jar (just that first night) and read that they may squeak. When I pick him up, typically he tries to climb up my arm. I imagine his thoughts are ’must climb higher, I will get free!’. I’ve tried petting him, but after about a second he hops away. In time, maybe.

It’s only been 3 weeks, we’ll see what he’s like in 3 months. He’s definitely getting used to us humans. I even caught him watching TV from the habitat. Maybe he just likes Star Trek? I’ll slowly turn him into a TV junkie, maybe then he’ll be more domesticated.

01/22/13  04:19am

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area