Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Doxiecollie   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Doxiecollie   Doxiecollie   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Doxiecollie  

Member  Message

Doxiecollie
View Profile

Help on my new Marbled Geckos!

Alright so about a week and a half ago I got 2 adult sized Marbled Geckos. They arein a 20 gallon tank, heating lamp(does not contain UVB) Eco Earth:coconut fiber substrate, lots of branches and a hidning space. I also spray water every other day for humidity. Also have a bowl of water and calcium.

Now My question is. I haven’t seen them eat yet.. I left crickets for them but took them out after like 4 hours. Then I tried to put them into the cricket container so it wasnt in there tank. I read you shouldn’t leave them in the tank with them because they can annoy and eat the geckos poop and of course thats not healthy. They are gut loaded and covered in calcium. Also last friday there sticky feet seemed to not work on glass, walls or anything besides clothing or branches. And thats not normal for them. The one is very hand tamed and loves to chill on my shoulder. the other one is still very skittish but will get used to me matter of a few minutes. Have anyone had this issue before? or have an Idea whats wrong with them. I believe they are both males and they always lay next to each other or stay close to each other.

08/19/12  10:31pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Doxiecollie   In reference to Message Id: 2277310

Marbled geckos are supposed to be skiddish and bitey. You also need 20 gallons PER gecko, so you’ll need to get another tank and separate them. You should separate them anyway as two males can kill each other, and the species can be territorial.

Two of the biggest reasons for not walking on glass are 1. shedding and 2. the tank is way too dry. You need a high humidity for the marbled geckos and tons of places to hide. If they’re not climbing anything and sticking to the ground, they are considerably stressed out, sick, or both. So deck the tanks out with sticks, leaves, etc, etc, make sure the humidity is high, and stop handling. The best sort of tank for a marbled gecko is a 20 (or more) high with a solid top so humidity doesn’t escape. Exo-terra makes good tanks like that.

You don’t need a bowl of calcium in the tank with these guys. The humidity would just mess up the calcium. Stick with dusting on food once a week.

Crickets shouldn’t be left in the tank indefinitely for a more sinister reason. Hungry crickets will bite the geckos and can cause real ugly wounds to the face, eyes, legs, and vent area. This is more common in terrestrial geckos, though. I’ve gotten away with leaving three or four crickets in the tank overnight with no issue cause the arboreal geckos can escape them. If crix don’t work, you can use regular mealworms in a dish with slick sides.

If the gecko can be picked up or doesn’t flee from you and can be ’handled’ or just ’sits there’, there’s something wrong with it. Marbled geckos are usually wild-caught on masse and imported to the US for the pet trade. The ones that survive are normally sick or riddled with parasites. This may explain the not eating, as well as intense stress from being kept with one another and not setting in before you grab them and handle them. You’ll need to see a vet to determine what worms they have and what to treat it with. It may take a month or two for the geckos to settle in.

There’s another really good reason you should keep the marbled geckos as display lizards and not handle them. They have extremely delicate skin. Not kidding you here. One wrong grab of the hand or twist and the skin can rip. Not fun.

08/19/12  11:14pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2277313

I know my last post was huge. But I have more to say!

Two things about humidity:

1. Find and purchase a digital thermometer/hygrometer combo. Has to be digital, as the dial and sticker ones can mis-read temps by a ton. Mount it towards the bottom or middle of the tank to get more accurate temps/humidity. The humidity should be 60 to 70%. Temps should be in the high 80’s (89 is prime) on the hot side of the tank with a five to ten degree drop on the cool side. Temps can drop between 70 to 80 during night, and no lower than 70.

To keep a good humidity by misting, alone, you have to mist two to three times a day. This also depends on if you have a screen top or not.

08/19/12  11:22pm

Doxiecollie
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2277313

Thank you so much for the info! I will take them in for help. Shows how much the guy in the reptile section knows what his talking about, unbelievable...

08/19/12  11:24pm

Doxiecollie
View Profile

Message To: Doxiecollie   In reference to Message Id: 2277315

haha no its fine! The more info I know the more happier Ill be. I feel like a total jerk for stressing these guys out. and for the sex of the geckos. I’m not really sure if they are male or female. I will get them sexed as soon as possible. but they lay on top of each other or always laying next to each other. I see no intress in fighting so maybe im wrong? Sorry for all the stupid questions. I even asked if they can see if they will get along. and he was like well they been in the same cage so im guessing they are fine.

08/19/12  11:31pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Doxiecollie   In reference to Message Id: 2277316

Yeah, the pet store guy is an idiot. Forget everything you heard from him and read this care sheet I wrote about marbled geckos a few years ago: Link

Unlike humans, lizards laying with each other is not a sign of affection or ’getting along’. It’s the exact opposite. If one lays on the other, they are showing dominance and being territorial. Territorial attitudes isn’t as straightforward as one attacking the other, there are some real subtle signs as well. The geckos being spazzy (hard to tell with marbled geckos, as they can be spazzy in general), one staying only on one part of the tank and not moving much, one or both being dark, one getting thinner while the other gets fatter, stuff like that. If they do fight, it would be in the dead of night while you’re asleep.

Pet stores are only concerned about selling. They’ll get the geckos from anywhere that’s cheap, cram them into the smallest space possible, and sell it off to people who only intend to keep them like they would fish or hamsters - killing the gecko off before the year is over or not understanding that these guys can live a good 12 years if kept right. I was in the same position as you are currently when I first got into lizard-keeping. When I bought my marbled gecko, Axe, she was in a 10 gallon tank with a dozen marbled and golden geckos at Pet Supplies Plus, all heavily stressed out and sick. I managed to deworm her and make her healthy (and man did she have an appetite when she was healthy, lid-rumbling at night and making all sorts of chatty noises), but she sadly passed away a few years later from complications to the removal of an abscess (done by the vet). The gecko I bought with her, a golden gecko named Sade (who was also dewormed and brought back to health) is still alive and kicking.

08/20/12  12:04am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2277319

Oh, and my care sheet, being dated, has some minor inconsistencies to what I just told you. I put 75% humidity on the sheet, which is tolerable, but it’s better off a little lower than that. Also, you don’t have to give pure (no-d3) calcium. It’s entirely optional. You only really need to dust calcium with d3/vitamins on the insects once a week, as that will be enough to keep the bones and body strong.

Since lizards are so exotic, husbandry techniques do get tweaked and change over time.

08/20/12  12:15am

Doxiecollie
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2277322

Thank you so much for giving me so much info. I did the misting and separating today and already see a large amount of relieve of stress on these guys. I know how foolish I am that I should have been more careful on the research but I asked a lot of questions and thought they gave me all the right answers when they didnt know ANYTHING..

08/21/12  01:17am

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area