Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ron burgundy   KrazyKelli   Ron burgundy   KrazyKelli   Ron burgundy   KrazyKelli   Ron burgundy   KrazyKelli   Ron burgundy  

Member  Message

Ron burgundy
View Profile

How many geckos can a 55 gallon hold

i currently have a 55 gallon tank with just one brown anole in it. as soon as i can sell the lizard, i would like to keep gold dust day geckos. i have seen that some keep a pair in a 20 or 30 gallon tank, but what about a 55 gallon tank? i hate over crowded tanks so i was thinking one male and maybe two or three females but i have not done enough research yet. any help is fantastic

05/19/12  03:43pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ron burgundy   In reference to Message Id: 2266894

A Gold Dust Day Gecko should be one to a 20 minimum, and 30 better. So two. Two would fit in there. That’s the best, especially since GD Day Geckos differ in size depending on subspecies. If you want to stretch it and cram a few in there, three max.

However, and I’m only saying this because you’re all about not over-crowding tanks, one would have a wonderful life in a tank that size. People say that bigger would stress a gecko out, however geckos, as with most other lizards, love to roam. A full tank like that absolutely decked out in decor like a freaking gecko jungle gym would be awesome. And think of the life of luxury that day gecko would have in there. Even the above mentioned two would have a wonderful life in a tank that size.

The only reason you see people keep a pair in a 20 is because they want to cram as many lizards into the smallest space possible. I wouldn’t keep two anoles in a 20. Breeders do it to save space, and normally they don’t intend to keep their geckos around as long, since they’re selling.

More things to concern yourself about with keeping multiple geckos in a single tank: Will all eat well? How will you know? What if you find some weird or bloody poop in there, who did it? What if a bigger one decides to pick on a smaller one? If they’re flighty, how will you possibly get the tank clean?

Also, if you do get a breeding pair, make sure you get from different breeders. You don’t want to get a male and female from the same breeder as they’ll likely be related.

05/21/12  09:01pm

Ron burgundy
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2267189

yes, i have thought much on this. again i am no where close to getting these. i do lots of research, i just love the animals and have always wanted them. all i have now is a uromastyx which i love. at first i wanted giant day geckos but honestly i just want some small gorgeous lizards to look at. do you have geckos?

05/22/12  08:12pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ron burgundy   In reference to Message Id: 2267318

Yes. I currently have one golden gecko and three leopard geckos. I use to have a marble gecko, and two or so house geckos that the pet store couldn’t sell.

My golden gecko, Sade, is in a 20-23 gallon tank (two 10’s cut and stacked on each other). He’s roughly 10 inches and even with the ’okay’ tank size for one golden gecko, I feel bad for him. I plan to get him a much larger tank in the future when the funds present themselves.

I’ve seen people cram 2 goldies in a 10, or with other cousin species (like the tokay) and the lizards always looked to be majorly stressed out, or sick from stress. They also don’t, on average, live as long for a handful of reasons. Fact, when I was at the pet store to get Sade 7 years back, they had a dozen or so goldies and marbled geckos all crammed into the one 10 gallon tank. They were spastic, flighty, freaking out. All to make a sale, right? Later I found Sade was wild-caught and had a huge parasite load and he had to be force-fed for two months and given some repeated dewormers before he was healthy again. Not fun.

I only know quirks about day geckos, like how they’re invasive to Hawaii, semi-communal in general (in the wild, and even then they have territorial spawls - bigger one normally winning), and people take many videos of them eating those little fruit packets for toast.

Link - random youtube video of a gecko in a Hawaiian restaurant. You can find youtube videos of the little guys everywhere.

05/22/12  08:52pm

Ron burgundy
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2267322

cool video! now would something like that be good for an occasional treat? it seems unhealthy. i was thinking more of a smashed up fruit/honey/calcium mixture. and i know what you mean about crammed tanks, i have a book on anoles and it shows pictures of four to five anoles in a 10 gallon, its rediculous

05/23/12  03:14pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ron burgundy   In reference to Message Id: 2267393

Yeah, something like that would be a treat. In the wild, likely those geckos tasted fruit or sap from trees as a kick in vitamins and sweetness... Like a dessert.

I’ll give my goldie mashed up banana, manga, and apricot babyfood at a treat once a while. I’d think the same thing would apply. Just stay away from acidic things. If the day gecko is strictly insectivore, stick with small crickets, small mealworms, and - if you can afford it - silkworms and young/small roaches.

Note - obviously golden geckos and day geckos are not related whatsoever. I’m simply using Sade as a blanket example.

05/23/12  03:30pm

Ron burgundy
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2267396

okay and about mealworms. i never fed my anoles them because of the hard chitinous exoskeleton. are geckos stomachs more tolerable to those kinds of things?

05/31/12  10:01am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ron burgundy   In reference to Message Id: 2268264

Yes. I feed my leopard geckos and golden gecko exclusively mealworms. But it all depends on the gecko as well. Some geckos, like the crested gecko (which is partially herbivorous), have a harder time of it.

Typically the only time a standard gecko will get constipated from eating mealies is when the temps and humidity aren’t correct. And under those circumstances, they could have trouble digesting anything.

Also, there are two kinds of mealies out there. Regular mealworms (which come in different ’age’ sizes, some tiny for smaller geckos, and some decently sized), and ’giant’ mealworms (mealies given a hormone to grow bigger and stay as a larvae longer). Avoid the giant ones, as, because they’re larvae so long, do have a tougher chitin.

06/04/12  11:06am

Ron burgundy
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2268751

okay yes i understand, can wax worms be fed as occasional treats?

06/21/12  04:24pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area