Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tempestborn   Crotus   Crotus   Tempestborn   Tempestborn   Crotus   Crotus   Tempestborn   Tempestborn   Crotus   Crotus   Tempestborn  

Member  Message

Tempestborn
View Profile

Okay, new plan...

someone on the plainoldgeckos forum told me day geckos are 100% arboreal. to me that means jasper will never go down and eat. and he’s much too teeny to go without food for long, so i went to the store to walk around and see if i could get an idea.

i got one! two feather-light plastic soap dishes with suction cups, made for the wall of a shower. i took the food up to him:

and then camouflaged it:

jasper was watching carefully from his hiding place behind the leaf i taped up in the corner. i assume he’ll investigate when he’s sure i’m not going to mess around in there any more (crossed fingers).

please bear with me posting here and there until i find where i’m comfortable.

jesse

02/14/12  02:08pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2255232

Okay, new plan...

Hey that looks pretty damn cool -- I love it! If I keep day geckos any time soon, I’m gonna follow this idea exactly.

But I want to suggest that you also drop in some small (1/4" size) crickets, gut-loaded on fish food flakes or egg mash, to be completely sure he’s getting enough protein. Don’t worry, he’ll catch ’em when they climb the plants or branches.

02/14/12  02:38pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2255237

Okay, new plan...

PS. I’m not sure if they have the proper instinct to drink from a bowl -- so just to make sure he’s getting enough water, I still recommend that you should mist the foliage once or twice dauily.

02/14/12  02:41pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2255238

Okay, new plan...

yeah, i get conflicting info on that water thing. some of the snippets of info i find say they’ll drink from a dish and some say they won’t, so i’ll just cover all my bases--give him a dish of water and mist him.

i finally swore off crickets when i gave in and started raising the discoid roaches (which i refer to as "beetles" because i’m terrified of roaches of any kind). so much more protein and soft-bodied, nearly no chitin, nearly no waste; they don’t bite so you don’t have to worry about leaving them in the cage. they can’t crawl up the glass, either. that’s why i put them in the smooth ceramic dish. the advantage of raising them is i have really tiny ones. all my beetles eat ground cat food, oats, fruit and all the veggie trimmings from the lizards, with a sprinkling of 1/3 ground-up people vitamin, 1/3 ground-up calcium and 1/3 ground-up b-complex now and again. the breeders get oranges but i don’t feed citrus to the babies. gut loading seems unnecessary to me if you just keep your bugs on a good diet all the time (i know you have to gut load if you buy them--there’s no knowing what they’ve been eating--but i haven’t bought bugs in a long time).

of course, i’m learning as i go. i just walked up and down the store aisles until i found something that looked like it would work. i’m glad you like the setup. i appreciate your input. now, if jasper will just show me he likes the setup...

jesse

02/14/12  05:30pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2255263

Okay, new plan...

i did it! i can’t see him eating of course, due to camouflage, but i am finding tiny poos.
jesse

02/15/12  03:45pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2255406

Okay, new plan...

Sounds good... I myslf have never used roaches, only crickets... but I still think that some variety is a good idea, so you may want to use small crickets also, otherwise he may eventually get bored of just one type of insect... also you may want tio actually drop some into the cage so he can chase them and in that way, satisfy his natural hunting instinct.

Crickets are easy to raise so you can have a constant daily supply on hand. Just get a large plastic file box with a tight-fitting lid, and punch a lot of small air holes in the top for ventilation... then drop in a sand substrate (optional) and a bunch of egg carton crates as hiding places...some food and water trays with fish food flakes and water... and add your crickets.

02/15/12  04:48pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2255424

Okay, new plan...

PS. This suggestion may also work for roaches but I have not tried it... I do know with crickets however, that a surprisingly large number of small ones (around 500 or more) may be kept at a time in such a setup, so you almost never need to make an emergency trip to the pet shop to pick up more insects. If you do it right, however, they eventually grow to larger sizes so you will need some larger lizards in your collection to eat those... but if you are really successful you might achieve a breeding colony with constant production of all sizes.

By the way, the water tray in the cricket enclosure should be filled with cotton or small pebbles because crickets can’t swim and will easily drown otherwise.

02/15/12  04:57pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2255425

Okay, new plan...

yeah, i have three bins of roaches, two breeder and one feeder. i probably have 5 or 6 hundred by now. i’ve only had them since november--i started out with probably 150-200. i have beardies to eat the bigger ones, and they’re a very in-demand food. apparently they’re delicious. the guy who taught me about them rents tables at the reptile expos and makes good money selling them. he told me the day would come when i’d be swearing by them and never bother with crickets again; danged if he wasn’t right. i raised crickets for a while, but i’m basically lazy, and you have to clean them constantly or they stink to high heaven. the roaches eat anything, make no noise, don’t smell, and you clean them out maybe once a month. the adult breeders live for about two years (which beats the heck out of six weeks or so for crickets) and actually become accustomed to their human keeper. you take out all the babies when you change the breeder bins and then leave them alone except for feeding them for another month. i hate to admit it (i was one of the last roach holdouts on the beardie and water dragon forums), but he was right. i’d never go back to anything else.

i raise hornworms during the summer, and i use superworms because they’re like beardie candy. no mealworms because i have beardies and iguanas. i think the being able to chase crickets now and again does sound good for jasper, though. i’ll probably start picking up a few just for that purpose. my beardies are so spoiled on roaches that they are no longer interested in crickets at all.

jesse

02/15/12  06:17pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2255442

Okay, new plan...

oh, and this works really well for water for the roaches, so i assume the crickets, also. you can buy "water gel," but it’s less expensive to just use knox unflavored gelatin with about one and a half times the recommended water. i put of drop of green food coloring in, just so i can see it. no mess and no one drowns.
jesse

02/15/12  06:22pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2255444

Okay, new plan...

This all sounds very interesting... I just may have to try it myself if I keep some lizards again anytime soon. I used to try the gelatin product you mentioned, with crickets, but was disappointed with it because it just seemed to get dirty and dry out into weird-looking clumps, so I started just filling the water tray with gravel.

02/16/12  12:21pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2255532

Okay, new plan...

It occurs to me that if you do a really good job raising this little baby, I understand that they grow quickly and he might be close to his adult size (10" long or more) in just maybe a year or two, so you need to plan for that!

With crickets you do need to be careful not to put in too many at a time, so the ones you do drop in get eaten before they (the crickets) become too hungry. If you follow that guideline, you shouldn’t have trouble using them occasionally.

02/16/12  03:29pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2255557

Okay, new plan...

since this place is pretty much deadsville, i’ll just add onto this one.

tonight i discovered that the beautiful jasper is actually a beautiful jasmine. i found two eggs in the cage, one on the floor and one stuck to the cage wall. once again, i know very little, so i don’t know whether to expect more. it solved the mystery of why i haven’t been able to get her to eat and she’s been skinny and stressed-out--just like my girl ’guana gets during breeding season.

i’ve been concerned because first she got a little tame, and then she got sick and i nursed her through that, and then she started getting more skittish and wild again. but the eggs explain all that. no chance of fertility; i’ve had her since she was so tiny as to be nearly invisible. i’m grateful that i’ve been giving her extra calcium lately...

jesse

09/29/12  07:09pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area