Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sean bergman   KrazyKelli   Sean bergman   KrazyKelli   Geckoboy111100  

Member  Message

Sean bergman
View Profile

Does anyone have experience with tokay geckos

does anyone have experience with tokay geckos, looking to get one and i was wondering how experts take care of them

12/12/11  01:58am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Sean bergman   In reference to Message Id: 2246926

If you have a water dragon and a monitor, I doubt a tokay would be too difficult for you.

I don’t have a Tokay, but I do have a golden gecko (cousin of tokay, similar set up). There are many misleading care sheets out there. I suggest you look at a ton before coming to any conclusions on how to set up the tank. One big thing though: don’t fit it in a 10 gallon tank. No matter how much those care sheets tell you how great it is, an arboreal lizard that can possibly grow to a foot long will end up miserable and stressed in something that small. May I suggest a 30 gallon (minimum) or larger.

Another thing, they are not entirely handleable. Oh you’ll see the random member post a picture of a ton of tokays stacked on their hands. And hear people talk about force-handling them from hatchlings. Yeah, most of the tokays ’dog tame’ out there are usually sick. Sick, stressed out, or improperly kept. A normally active and lively tokay will bite and bite pretty damned hard. All the time.

Then there’s the whole spiel on making sure you buy a robust one and to see the vet for parasites. I’m sure you already have that down.

Tokays are about as common in the pet trade as leos, so it wont be hard to find basic down-to-earth set up information on them. And I know you’ll have the judgement skills on what is and isn’t good and straight about it. Obviously a care sheet telling you to slap one with a bunch of heat rocks and feed it nothing but waxworms and pinkies can be skipped over.

12/12/11  09:48pm

Sean bergman
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2247015

lol thx krazy, there is alot of mixed info about them. and its not looking to be hard at all to care for. the place that they have it is a ten gallon sadly but i mean its a pet store what can ya do lol, it is female ive concluded and is full grown becouse she is a whooper! shes damn near that foot mark. i was thinking on doing a twenty though alot of ppl that i know say they can be in twenty gals fairly comfortable,vrspecialy if u set the tamk up upright
, and she is very plump i doubt it has anything wrong with it other than an overweight problem lol and possible an attitude problem first time i saw it she treid to get me from behoind the glass so forocouse. mainly i just posted this thread though krazy to find other tokay owners but i guess im alone

12/13/11  11:01am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Sean bergman   In reference to Message Id: 2247050

There are some tokay owners on RZ. There’s a Tokay subforum and all. But with all the misinformation going around, it’s about as helpful sometimes as looking for good monitor owners on you tube. Cheap gecko that can be instabought and everything.

You can’t blame the petstore for having it in a smaller tank. They only have so much room and don’t intend to keep the lizards forever. It’s sometimes hard to tell male from female because males will go a darker or greyish color when stressed out. It’s easier to find out by looking at the vent and crotch.

I originally had my goldie in a 10 gallon tank. He was miserable and stressed completely. The larger I made his tank, the more he roamed around at night and the more active he became. I’m still standing by the 30 gallon being an ideal minimum tank size for the Tokay. Be cooler if the tank was custom-built (no mesh on top), since they need the higher humidity.

Hey, btw, here’s a pic of my goldie =P I know, it has nothing to do with the thread..But.. yeah! Woo!

12/13/11  02:29pm

Geckoboy111100
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2247063

golden geckos are awsome

07/02/13  02:00am

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area