Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos Forum

Hcarpo64   KrazyKelli   Hcarpo64  
 Member  Message

Hcarpo64
View Profile

Injured Gecko

I have just moved a bucket in my backyard and unfortunately there was a baby gecko under it. It has shed its tail and has half a front leg missing. I know it is a baby (about 1.5 inches long) as I have seen an adult gecko around our house over the past 6-8 years. I am now seeking advice on what to do for it. I have put it in a container with a shallow lid of water and shredded tissue to hide in. Please help. I feel very sorry that I have injured it.

10/28/11  09:15pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Hcarpo64   In reference to Message Id: 2242261

Injured Gecko

The best course of action is to let it live out its life in peace (in the wild, where you found it). By keeping it in confinement with no real way to thermoregulate, it’s going to stress itself to death. I mean, it’s already stressed out, and it’s in a bit of pain, now it can’t escape. I doubt that you’re behind its missing arm, and tails pop off naturally as a defense mechanism. The tail will grow back on its own, and you’d be surprised how well a lizard can heal and thrive on its own. It will either heal up and go back to living, or a predator will have a meal and the cycle of life will continue. It seems harsh, but it’s really the best option.

10/28/11  09:32pm

Hcarpo64
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2242263

Injured Gecko

Thanks for your reply. I have been in contact with a pet shop and he has described it as a Southern Leaf tailed gecko which are common to Sydney. It is drinking water and resting. Can I feed it very small crickets and see how it goes???

10/28/11  11:15pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area