Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dario_274   KrazyKelli   Rjw0928   Crotus   KrazyKelli   Crotus  

Member  Message

Dario_274
View Profile

HELP PLEASE !!!

How many times should I feed my leo and what ? They sell dead froozen crickets and mealworms in Wal Mart, should I feed them those ? What do you guys think is a better substrate, newspaper or papertowel ? THANKS FOT ALL THE HELP GUYS :)

09/16/11  08:03pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Dario_274   In reference to Message Id: 2237216

HELP PLEASE !!!

Leos need to eat live food. The easiest two to find are crickets and mealworms, which you get get readily at pet stores or on websites. You can also feed silkworms and small roaches. Fact, if you get enough of crickets, mealworms, or small roaches, you can breed your own colony and you’ll have endless food!

Adult leos should eat as much as they want for 15 minutes every other day. Leos under a year old should be fed every day.

Additionally, leos need calcium dusted on their insects. This can also be purchased online or at a pet store. Get something with d3 in it, sprinkle it on the insects once a week. No calcium and the gecko’s bones will turn rubbery and deform, resulting in a rather painful, unfixable outcome.

Papertowel is better than newspaper. Some newspapers can dye the leo with ink.

If you have any other questions about set up, go visit the leopard gecko subforum part of this website. You can also view numerous care-sheets over there for basic set up info. Link Caresheets differ, so look at more than one. Ignore care sheets that tell you to use calcisand and/or heatrocks (deadly to lizards).

09/16/11  10:00pm

Rjw0928
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2237232

HELP PLEASE !!!

I would feed leo live cricket, make sure the cricket isn’t bigger than leo’s head. You might be able to get live crickets at Pet Smart for maybe 3 to 4.
www.Ehow.com is a really good site.

09/04/12  08:25pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2237232

HELP PLEASE !!!

The best substrate for them is probably sand, the type sold in bags for desert herps. I think some brands are made with calcium carbonate so it’s actually good for them even if they ingest some of it.
Also, in my opinion, dusting the crickets is not that critical so long as they are properly gut-loaded; it’s best to have your own cricket colony on hand. In my experience crickets seem to go crazy for flake fish food and egg mash-type food made for baby birds; the crickets grow really nice and plump on those foods.

09/05/12  06:10pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2279094

HELP PLEASE !!!

Crotus, I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not. Leopard geckos are natural on arid, rocky outcrops of land. They’re not hanging out in the Sahara by any stretch of the imagination.

That and Calcisand (and vitasand, and calcium ’good to eat’ sands) are the leading cause of death in leopard geckos right now. I deal with leo impaction cases all the time on RZ, and have met many a respectable vet that hate the stuff. The leos are encouraged to eat it, they do, and it acts like a gum on the intestines, causing lack of passing stool and eventually, if not treated, a terrible way to go.

Leos are best off on a solid substrate in captivity, such as papertowel, repticarpet, tile, slate, non-adhesive shelf liner, etc. There are also ways to make a tank look rocky and outcroppy if one has the pocket money for it.

09/05/12  08:45pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2279112

HELP PLEASE !!!

To be perfectly honest with you, I am mainly into frogs and have not yet kept leopard geckos, but I have seen them being kept on sand substrates without problems... Hey, whatever works. Personally I just happen to prefer something that looks natural.

09/11/12  06:02pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area