Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos Forum

Stachurski   Crotus   Crotus   Stachurski   Crotus  
 Member  Message

Stachurski
View Profile

Giant Day Gecko Info

hey, i just got a giant day gecko, ive noticed in the past week of having him i have like a big log i bought from petland but he never ever goes on it only stays on the glass walls, is that normal that he never leaves the glass, and i have 2 lights above his cage a 60 watt reptile basking bulb and a 100 watt red reptile heat bulb is that good enough ?

03/22/11  07:05pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Stachurski   In reference to Message Id: 2211019

Giant Day Gecko Info

I recommend that you replace the basking light with one of those Repti-Sun or similar fluorescent hoods, and the bulb should be the UVB type. This is absolutely vital for a day gecko’s health to prevent metabolic bone disorder. Also they like to climb on branches a little thicker than their own girth, set up at angles in the terrarium... live plants that are tough and climbable like Sansevieria (snake plant) will also work well. Please keep in mind with day geckos, that they require regular calcium supplementation (a cuttlebone broken into pieces use will work) and regular access to a fruit-honey mixture that they lap up. In some ways these are like the hummingbirds of the lizard world, and they have special requirements to remain healthy. Read read this care sheet:

http://www.lizardsarchive.com/care-sheets/giant-day-gecko.php

04/14/11  03:10pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2214399

Giant Day Gecko Info

Hey, here’s another care sheet I found that has some really excellent suggestions, like using bamboo for climbing... check it out:
http://www.reptilechannel.com/care-sheets/giant-day-gecko.aspx

Also I wanted to mention, these lizards almost never go down to the ground so they depend on regular misting of the tank so they can lick water droplets to quench their thirst. :)

04/14/11  03:21pm

Stachurski
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2214401

Giant Day Gecko Info

thanks guys, yeah i switched the bulb to what you requested thanks for all the help greatly aprechated :)
-Stac

04/18/11  10:14pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Stachurski   In reference to Message Id: 2215049

Giant Day Gecko Info

I’m not sure but it’s possible that they also like to have a basking light, in addition to the UVB fluorescent... please study the care sheets to be sure. Definitely they need a very spacious, vertically oriented setup, well-ventilated with a screen top.

04/21/11  02:13pm

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area