Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos Forum

Geckojudo   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Geckojudo   Geckojudo   Geckojudo  
 Member  Message

 #2194045


Geckojudo
View Profile





 Be Careful That You Do Not Get Parasite-Infested Crickets...

My gecko Spence died today. He got a parasite from some infected crickets. Please be careful when you feed your little gecko buddies live food and make sure that they stay healthy. Rest in peace, Spence.



12/23/10  05:50pm

 #2194050


KrazyKelli
View Profile



  Message To: Geckojudo   In reference to Message Id: 2194045


 Be Careful That You Do Not Get Parasite-Infested Crickets...

oo which gecko was Spence?


All live bugs have a chance of holding parasites, but to be fair, most geckos on the market are wild-caught and already come with hoards of parasites as well. Stress and other factors can give wild-caught lizards something called a ’parasite boost’, which will do them in much more quickly. When I got Sade and Axe, my golden and marbled geckos, years ago they had huge amounts of hookworm, pinworm, and coccidia from being wildcaught. Took a long time and an expensive vet bill to fix.


The most common parasite out there in the reptile world is the ’pinworm’. It’s normally given from crix and outdoor insects, and is relatively harmless. They’re most easily identified by non-solid poop and can be very quickly treated with a trip to the vet and a cleaned tank.


A lizard with a parasite will never die immediately or out of the blue. The normal sign of a heavy parasite infestation is not eating. A small gecko can go without eating for months and get severely emaciated before dieing. If you think your future geckos have parasites, if they stop eating for more than 10 days, or you had a gecko living with Spence, go see a vet to get them treated.


I’m sorry for your loss.



12/23/10  06:44pm

 #2194051


KrazyKelli
View Profile



  Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2194050


 Be Careful That You Do Not Get Parasite-Infested Crickets...

Should also bring up that a standard reptile keeper should take their lizard to the vet for a yearly fecal test. It’s only around 15 dollars. And getting the lizard checked out is only around 50.

And that most bugs Don’t have parasites if you get them from a reliable source like a pet supply store (and not out in the backyard, where I can promise you the parasite count goes up much higher). You can give a bearded dragon thousands of crickets before you come across one with a parasite. I’ve been feeding my geckos crix and mealies for years. My leopard geckos have never gotten a parasite. The goldie only had a secondary parasite problem (after getting treated from his wild capture) and it was quickly treated at the yearly checkup.



12/23/10  06:52pm

 #2194125


Geckojudo
View Profile



  Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2194051


 Be Careful That You Do Not Get Parasite-Infested Crickets...

Got my gecko checked when I got him. Took him to the vet right away when he got sick (which was a monumental journey for Spence since I live a few hours from the only reptile specialist in the state), nothing the vet could do for this particular parasite. Took him a year to die. Like I said, please be careful about parasite-infested crickets. It is not always the result of an irresponsible reptile-keeper. $500 later, he still died without any possible treatment. Thank you for your condolences. I appreciate it.



12/24/10  06:27am

 #2194126


Geckojudo
View Profile



  Message To: Geckojudo   In reference to Message Id: 2194125


 Be Careful That You Do Not Get Parasite-Infested Crickets...

Sometimes I think, now, that the vet just did not know what he was talking about when he told me it was my fault for feeding Spence parasite-infested crickets. But I am not a vet. Wish I was. But I did the best I could with what I have and with what I was told. Hindsight 20/20, of course, I would have asked this vet why they did not offer Spence euthanasia (which he never did, not even after all the suffering we went through). But understand, please, that I am not all-seeing, all-knowing. I did the best I could for Spence, whether the vet was full of it or not. And I do still believe that parasite-infested crickets are bad...



12/24/10  06:35am

 #2194127


Geckojudo
View Profile



  Message To: Geckojudo   In reference to Message Id: 2194126


 Be Careful That You Do Not Get Parasite-Infested Crickets...

Is there any way of reporting a bad vet?



12/24/10  06:38am


Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area