Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Monkeyeatzyou   KrazyKelli   Monkeyeatzyou   KrazyKelli   Monkeyeatzyou   KrazyKelli   Monkeyeatzyou   KrazyKelli   Monkeyeatzyou   Ento890   Monkeyeatzyou   Jimaryaz   Ento890   Monkeyeatzyou   Monkeyeatzyou   Ento890   Monkeyeatzyou   Ento890   Oldmischief   Lizard girl 4  

Member  Message

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Help Please

So my stupid husband thought it would be fun to try and catch our Tibetan frog eyes gecko and he was squirming around trying to get free of my husband and he dropped his tail. I am hysterical right now and have no Idea what I am supposed to do for my poor little guy. I am currently not speaking to my husband, I asked him to leave my lizards alone and go back to helping me feed the beardies but his stupid A$$ response was I’m playing. Now my once really cool gecko has lost his cool factor. Does it grow back? I know the crested’s don’t.

11/30/10  07:25pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2190275

Help Please

Crestie is one of a very few geckos that don’t grow their tail back. Most other geckos do. Looking at pictures of frog-eyed geckos makes me more or less certain that it’ll come back over the next few weeks. Though it may be discolored or bulging at the break sight, not like the original at all.

Put some neosporin or antibiotic ointment without painkillers on the end of the tail to prevent infection, then generally leave the gecko alone so it can overcome the stress. You can also optionally put it on papertowels temporarily (if the gecko is on a loose substrate) to insure that nothing gets into the tail opening.

When the tail starts growing back, it’ll be this ugly looking bump in the center of the wound. As it grows back, it’ll gradually lighten up and look at least marginally less ugly.

Your next step is to pull your husband aside and beat him. How you beat him is completely up to your own personal taste. So long as it hurts.

11/30/10  08:26pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2190288

Help Please

Thank you for your help. I have done exactly that. I put him in the lizard infirmary. Were its lined with paper towels and his favorit hiding bush. I put bag balm on the stub. I know I am going to have nightmares about this. I instantly started hysterically crying and screaming at my husband. He walked away from me and sat in the kitchen until I stopped the hyperventilating scream crying. Because he knew if he came with in 3 feet of me I would have cut off his member. I told him it was the closest thing he has to a tail. But yes beating him sounds like a plan.

So I hear increasing food and heat is important when trying to regenerate tails. So I have butter worms which i feel is probably better then crickets esp since crickets like to eat flesh.

My head is spinning.

11/30/10  09:50pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2190301

Help Please

Butterworms can be fatty if fed in large numbers. Not as bad as waxworms, but it’s still up there in the snackfood category.

Only the large crickets eat infection and bite if unfed. The smaller ones shouldn’t (in a perfect world). Even then, you can tong feed the crix or only put in so many at one time, or pop off the cricket legs. If the gecko gets to the few you give it immediately, you wont have to worry about the crickets. And mealworms are a regular staple for most other terrestrial geckos of the same genre.

11/30/10  10:17pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2190308

Help Please

ill make the hubby rip the legs off the crix since he seems good at amputating limbs.

11/30/10  10:40pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2190311

Help Please

Sounds like you’re ready to rip one of his legs off.

Anyway, make sure at least one leg is still on before feeding it to the gecko. The cricket, I mean... So it moves somewhat. Not your husband. I honestly don’t know how you’d fit him into the tank, anyway.

11/30/10  10:44pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2190312

Help Please

HAHAHA I could dangle him by his toes. or chop him up first... Really Im not a serial killer. I swear. I will prolly just try to hand feed him the crickets or with tongs. I just feel so bad for the little guy. I cant believe he dropped his tail. I can’t get the image out of my head.

11/30/10  10:57pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2190317

Help Please

Whatever you do, don’t dump him. The gecko, I mean. Some kid’s leopard gecko dropped its tail and they were considering flushing it down the toilet because the new tail was bulbous and ugly. Someone contacted me and though it I took the kid’s tank, supplies, and leopard gecko away for free. Zaphod is alive and well today.

11/30/10  11:14pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2190319

Help Please

Ohh I would never. I would flush the hubby first if anything. He’s still cute just missing his cool factor. Their tails wriggle like a snake and make a weird noise.

But all in all I couldn’t just abandon him because hes tailless. I actually rescued a tailless crested gecko. I call him stickie wich I am finding out is a common name with cresties.. ohh well :)

How long should I keep him in the infirmary?

12/01/10  11:10am

Ento890
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2190353

Help Please

I just got in a frog eye gecko a few weeks ago. While in shipment, her tail had fallen off. It’s not a big deal, just let them eat normally and the tail will grow back normally. Mine is almost half way grown back. No need for medications or increasing heat/food intake. Her tail falling off was what was supposed to happen if a predator would grab her.

12/03/10  09:27pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: Ento890   In reference to Message Id: 2190854

Help Please

Can you post a pic of yours, And her tail. Also how long has it been that its growing back?

12/04/10  04:10pm

Jimaryaz
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2190940

Help Please

So sorry to hear that happened to your Gecko.

I do have to say I have a Gecko that I rescued that actually had it’s tail chopped off (not while in my care) when the tank was knocked over by a cat and I actually think his tail is cute. It’s nice and fat and looks almost like his head except without eyes - lol.

I’ve tried to post a few pics of my tail-less Gecko, I hope it works.

12/28/10  12:31pm

Ento890
View Profile

Message To: Jimaryaz   In reference to Message Id: 2194814

Help Please

This was the tail 2 weeks after receiving her

12/28/10  02:51pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: Ento890   In reference to Message Id: 2194845

Help Please

So it really does kinda grow back. Mine has the tiniest little point starting. He wont eat though. I keep giving him butter worms and cgd and crix but I guess nothing is appealing or hes depressed I dunno.

12/28/10  03:38pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2194855

Help Please

I take that back he just ate some crix. Boy am I relieved.
I used to hand feed him worms but since his accident he wants nothing to do with people. I guess he will just have to be one of those look but don’t touch pets.
I was working so hard with him to get him to trust me so I could hold him and I feel my husband has ruined any chance of that ever happening I know his tail is already gone but I just feel like if I keep trying I will just stress him to death.

12/28/10  04:23pm

Ento890
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2194863

Help Please

Frog eye geckos in general are not good handling geckos. They stress way to easily and are very quick. Mine, when I first got her, Loved meal worms and wanted nothing to do with crickets. Now she will eat anything left for her. She will clear out a bowl of meal worms in a night.

Also, These guys wont eat CGD, dont worry about having that in there

12/28/10  05:33pm

Monkeyeatzyou
View Profile

Message To: Ento890   In reference to Message Id: 2194875

Help Please

ok thanks. Yeah he/she used to love butters now she wont eat them but she ate a bunch or crix today. She/he might also be sad because she no longer has a cage mate.She was housed with a bibron since the pet-store I bought both and kept them together up until the accident.

12/28/10  08:24pm

Ento890
View Profile

Message To: Monkeyeatzyou   In reference to Message Id: 2194908

Help Please

I’m sure she’s not sad about her cage mate. Reptiles are not social and do not need or want companionship. Bibrons are from a completely different climate than frog eyes also and shouldn’t be housed together.

12/28/10  09:03pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: Ento890   In reference to Message Id: 2194917

Help Please

My first frog eyed’s tail fell off and it grew back after a while. Unfortunately the scales dont come back quite as pretty, but a tail is a tail.

12/08/11  08:19pm

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2246547

Help Please

What is the point of tails? Balance?

12/09/11  09:10am

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area