Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos Forum

Bigjayjon   KrazyKelli   Carollyn2010  
 Member  Message

Bigjayjon
View Profile

What kind of Gecko should I get?

I saw a lot of really cool pics of geckos on this forum and they all look amazing. However, as far as species I was thinking of a banded gecko. Since I live in California, they’re native. So i have this interest in indiginous species. Otherwise what other gecko species should I get as far as handling and easy to care for stats are concerned?

06/11/10  01:20am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Bigjayjon   In reference to Message Id: 2154852

I can tell you up front that taking an animal from the wild (or buying a wild-caught animal) is going to land you with a sick reptile full of parasites. Most native animals you will see sold in your area are either wild-caught in your state and sold illegally or wild-caught in the state next door to avoid illegalities.

The good news is that there is a gecko a bit like a banded gecko, is tolerant to handling, is easier to own than other geckos, and every one you buy from stores will be captive bred. The Leopard Gecko. They also come in a plethora of colors and spot patterns. There is also, as a secondary option, the African Fat-tail gecko. Leos live in hot environments and should be kept on solid ground (like papertowel, repticarpet, slate, tile, etc), Afts live in more humid environments and should be kept on non-fertilized soil to help aid humidity. Check out both and see if you like one or the other.

06/11/10  02:59pm

Carollyn2010
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2154964

All leos are easy to care for, you don’t have to worry about their types, the important is the right way of caring your leos. ;-) they are cool, purely interesting and fun… ;-)

06/30/10  03:29am

Back to Geckos Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area