Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Tokay Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kelckmdo   The Lone Glider   Kelckmdo   Kelckmdo   The Lone Glider   Kelckmdo   Kelckmdo   Kelckmdo   The Lone Glider   Vulgarity   Leigh-Anne21  

Member  Message

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Lizard

i am going to get lizards soon and i am trying to decide witch kind to get and i have narrowed it down to two different kinds anoles and tokay geckos and i cant decide, so i wanted to ask witch is better

03/14/13  05:40pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2293766

Lizard

Tokays. They have a cool call and can be tamed down, BUT they can and will bite.

03/18/13  07:40pm

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293967

Lizard

what i have herd is that if you get them captive bred and kind of younger they are easier to tame is that true

03/19/13  08:10pm

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2294039

Lizard

how many can i fit in a 55

03/19/13  08:11pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2294040

Lizard

Never heard of that. I doubt its true. They still have the wild instinct whether CBB or not. and I would not have more then 1 in a thing..

03/19/13  11:11pm

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294050

Lizard

is it better to get them as babies or juvenile if i wanted to tame them

03/21/13  07:09pm

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294050

Lizard

can i put bamboo in the tank

03/21/13  07:20pm

Kelckmdo
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2294119

Lizard

is it better to get male and female or can i two females be cause i don’t them to breed

03/21/13  07:27pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Kelckmdo   In reference to Message Id: 2294120

Lizard

Just one per tank... these are an aggressive species and should not be put together... and I’d get a baby. But ONE PER TANK there is no exception.....

03/21/13  11:06pm

Vulgarity
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294126

Lizard

i use a 55 for my two Tokay’s and it works perfectly fine. make sure you give them plenty of hides so you don’t risk them fighting over one. and give them lots of cover or they’ll never leave their hides. Tokay’s can tame pretty well, it all depends on your method. when i first bought mine i couldn’t even put my hand in the tank without getting lunged at. what i did to calm them down was i stopped trying to handle them all together and i moved my computer right next to the tank so that they could see me and get use to me, after that i put a super worm in my palm and just held it in the tank and eventually one came got it. if you’re worried about being bit just hold a cricket with forceps whenever you first start hand feeding. after a while of hand feeding they shouldn’t be as skittish. as far as the gender goes it’s up to you, but I’d suggest starting off with two females so you don’t have to deal with babies.

05/01/13  09:25am

Leigh-Anne21
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294126

Lizard

This is not correct. I have been keeping tokays for a while now and they are fine in either male/female combination or females will also be fine together. The amount of Tokays you are able to keep in one terrarium would solely depend on the size of the terrarium if there is not much space they will fight over the hides etc. Two males should never be kept together, I’ve seen this done successfully in an extremely large terrarium but personally wouldn’t advise it under any circumstance.
Tokay geckos or gekko geckos will grow to be very large (second largest gecko in the world) adult specimens can reach up to 14" long. Tokays will need at a bare minimum 40 gallon terrarium, then after add 10 gallons per any extra geckos. Please note though the more space the better, just ensure to offer plenty of hides to your Tokays to keep them happy and not stressed (they appear much darker when they’re stressed). They will require a near constant temperature of around 85 to 95f which could either be provided by heat matt, ceramic bulb and or heat lamp. I also advise you to use a thermostat to stop them from overheating and possibly even dying. They do not benefit from UVA or UVB whatsoever as they are nocturnal! Only use this if you are keeping live plants. They need their humidity between 70-90% you can achieve this with either daily misting or adding a misting system to do this for you automatically. You can use a hydrometer to read the humidity you can also buy these as a hydrometer/thermometer combo, you will need both. It is vital that they are misted as they tend to drink the water droplets left on their eyes. I do agree that Tokays are extremely aggressive so you would be much better off with a hatchling then a sub-adult or an adult, the reason for this is when tokays are very small their bites do not hurt. You would be much better off trying to tame a baby who’s bite is barely felt compared to a sub adult which literally can tear through your skin. Also when they bite they like to act like crocodiles and ’roll’ themselves with you still in their mouth. It really hurts! Good luck, hope this helps :)

10/15/14  03:20pm

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area