Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Tokay Forum

IguanaRama   KimboSliceEatsCats   IguanaRama   Camo_pants   IguanaRama   Camo_pants   IguanaRama   KimboSliceEatsCats   IguanaRama  
 Member  Message

IguanaRama
View Profile

Question

I have two tokays each have their own 40 gal breeder with Lots I mean lots of hides and fake plant foliage with a average temp throughout the day of 76-80 and I feed them crickets and occasionally super meal worms I heard these were okay sometimes and I dust the crickets twice a week when I feed them and one of the geckos is favoring her (i think) right arm and I realized it’s very puffy almost like a pop-eye arm she’ll hold it back and to her side when she isn’t walking and when she does walk she limps a little I feel terrible and I’m going to take her to the vet but I’m wondering if this is a calcium related issue or something like a abcess if I have to I can try to get a picture but she doesn’t hold still often unless sleeping I’ve been monitoring it and it has not gotten better these past few days so I’m curious of other peoples thoughts on this.

I know this forum is basically dead for the most part but I thought I would give it a shot.

09/01/10  12:02am

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2172870

Question

I do not know what could be wrong, tokays do not need a breeder tank, that is the complete opposite of what they need, they need a tall tank with plenty of open room for them to climb on the glass

are you feeding giant meal worms or superworms? superworms are not mealworms, mealworms are bad for a tokay but not superworms

calcium dust is not needed fro tokays, maybe the calcium is doing something since most dont dust their tokay food, they dont need it.

09/04/10  10:39pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: KimboSliceEatsCats   In reference to Message Id: 2173690

Question

they’re superworms not giant meal worms I haven’t dusted them recently because I was too thinking it was the calcium I had a feeling it might be that after looking around and reading they don’t need it. I normally feed crickets should I like.. turn the cages vertically but her arm has been looking better i’m going to stop dusting and see what happens if it doesn’t go away then I think it might be a abscess but like i said it does look much better also is it good for these guys to eat phoenix worms because I’m picking some up for my other reptiles and was wondering if they would like or could eat them as well.

09/05/10  01:32am

Camo_pants
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2173707

Question

Calcium is not bad for them. I occasionally dust my guys food. Everything in moderation. Just make sure you feed the feeder insects a nutritious meal with calcium rich foods and that should be good.

Hard to say about your tokays injury. If she just hurt it, it will be sore for awhile. If it’s been awhile and it’s still not better it could be a cause for concern. The vet might not be able to do much for her leg but it’s worth a shot to get it checked out.

Good luck !!

09/06/10  10:56am

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Camo_pants   In reference to Message Id: 2173932

Question

okay thank you very much she still favors that leg but the swelling really went down in it and it doesn’t look like she’s Popeye any more lol I know that’s terrible to laugh about but like I said she seems to be doing better I’m still going to watch it though just in case.

09/06/10  12:13pm

Camo_pants
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2173948

Question

A few years back I had a gecko with what looked to be a broken back leg and the vet wanted to do X rays. I asked what for? are you going to put a cast on her leg ?? they did eventually heal and she had a good life. Most things heal on their own

09/06/10  12:36pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Camo_pants   In reference to Message Id: 2173954

Question

That is very true the only thing I worry about is it could be a abcess but it must not be if the swelling is going away

09/06/10  09:16pm

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2174066

Question

umm, turning the cage vertically wont help, because if you have a screen top he will get his toes caught on it
and they are very delicate and he could lose some. Ya if its getting better than its fine a broken leg can only heal but an abcess might need some sort of antibiotic, if it looks good and he is eating drinking and pooping you are doing a good job.

in the future you could buy a 20 gallon tall aquarium maybe, he would appreciate the climbing room, they like to be near the top of the cage, they are pretty cheap, or an even bigger tank if you want, there all over craigslist for good deals.

09/13/10  05:16pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: KimboSliceEatsCats   In reference to Message Id: 2175343

Question

If I did turn it I would have made different tops for them I’m pretty handy with wood work but she’s doing good no odd behavior and eating like a pig licking water off the leaves and side of the tank and still very very feisty lol

09/13/10  07:47pm

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area