Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Tokay Forum

MultiLizard   1 Justizn   MultiLizard   ScrubLizard   Callinghogs   MultiLizard  
 Member  Message

MultiLizard
View Profile

One question about Tokays

Ok me and my husband were at petco looking at reptiles when we saw a beautiful gray and orange spotted Tokay. When we asked if we could get a closer view of it and asked if it was aggresive, the man replied ’yes’ and as he pulled out the tank so we could see it (it was climbing the back of the tank), the man attempted to show us how aggresive it was but pretended like he was going to stick his finger in the cage, the Tokay opened his mouth very big and hissed. Then as he closed the tank, I looked into the tank and the Tokay did it again.

I was just wandering if they were like any other reps where you can tame them or if its all around aggresive because this thing was gorgous but we had just traded in our iguana for a breadie because Buddy was too aggresive himself.

02/19/10  09:02pm

1 Justizn
View Profile

Message To: MultiLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2124963

It’s rare to fully tame a tokay. I can hold one of my girls up to a point till she jumps out of my hand an runs up the wall. The My other girl I wont even attempt to hold. Tokays are wonderful to watch, especially around feeding time, but I wouldn’t suggest getting one if you intend on trying to tame them. I’m not trying to discourage you into not getting one but just letting you know what to expect if you do.

02/20/10  05:31pm

MultiLizard
View Profile

Message To: 1 Justizn   In reference to Message Id: 2125194

No i just didn’t wantto lose a finger trying to clean its tank

02/20/10  08:03pm

ScrubLizard
View Profile

Message To: MultiLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2124963

Quote:

saw a beautiful gray and orange spotted Tokay

he should have been light blue or greenish, either the lighting was bad or he was angry causing him to be gray

they can be tamed, pretty easily
mine tamed down in 2 weeks, all you need to do is handle it at least once a day for a couple of minutes
what I do is put a peice of paper in the tank, nudge him onto the paper, then lifted the paper up with him on it and then turned the paper vertical forcing him to slide onto my hands

if theres no grabbing, then theres no stress, they arnt aggressive, just scared and being defensive, they wont come at you or bite unless you are in their range, once they are on your arm or hand just be sure they arnt going to jump somewhere, the only reason most arnt tame is because they have a terrible bite, and most people buy them as display animals to begin with, not holdable pets.

but mine is pretty tame, a little jumpy though, but he only jumps if there is something he can jump to, if you want to make it easier on yourslef try to handle it right when it turns dark, he wont be fully active by then, so he wont give you as much trouble, but he wont be sleepy and grumpy either.

but I say just admire the idea until you have more experieince, because if you cant handle a hardy iguana then you cant handle a delicate gecko

02/22/10  06:07pm

Callinghogs
View Profile

Message To: ScrubLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2126006

Can be held if careful. (use gloves till your use to handling it) They will get use to it but will never be completely tame. They make a barking sound when threatened. Not recommended for your first reptile.

04/02/10  01:24am

MultiLizard
View Profile

Message To: Callinghogs   In reference to Message Id: 2137865

theyre far from my first reptile

04/02/10  08:29pm

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area