Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Tokay Forum

ChadMyLad   Herpsarelife   Papa Brickhouse   Camo_pants   Herpsarelife   Luvlizards   Herpsarelife  
 Member  Message

ChadMyLad
View Profile

Hello

i saw a pair of these geckos at my local pet store and wondered is caring for them much different than my leopard gecko because they are really beautiful and i would possible like to get one in the future

02/05/10  08:14pm

Herpsarelife
View Profile

Message To: ChadMyLad   In reference to Message Id: 2120782

Hello

the care for tokay geckos is much different than a leopard gecko. since they arboreal they need a tall cage. for a single adult tokay i would go with a 20 gal tall minimum. they need humidity since they are from tropical areas. you will need to use a bedding that holds moisture well. i use peat moss or bed-a-beast and also spots of terrarium moss to aid in holding moisture. humidity should be around 70%. you will need to mist daily. tokays will usually only drink from the drops left on the glass or decor in the tank. they need lots of sticks to climb on and lots of fake (or live) plants to hide in. for heat they easiest is a light since they don’t spend anytime on the ground an UTH won’t do you much good. you can use either a red light that can be left on all the time, or what i do is have a sunglo bulb that is on only 14 hrs a day to give them a night time cool down (never below 70). your hot side temp should be around 85-90, and day time cool side about 75. my night time temps stay around 72-75.

tokays are also a gecko that tends to be look and no touch. they can be handled but most would prefer to not be. feeding wise you can feed crickets or mealworms. my adult gets a dozen crickets twice a week. he’s pushing almost 12in when fully streched out and two years old. they are amazing geckos, i love mine. just do your research before hand. i didn’t when i first got mine and it took awhile to get him eating, he was also very underweight when i first got him but he’s come along way. here’s a pic of him:

BEFORE (feb 2008):

AFTER (feb 2009):

02/05/10  09:33pm

Papa Brickhouse
View Profile

Message To: Herpsarelife   In reference to Message Id: 2120815

Hello

Wow He looks fabo!!! Not too shabby!!! You have done yourself a proud job!!!

02/05/10  11:32pm

Camo_pants
View Profile

Message To: Papa Brickhouse   In reference to Message Id: 2120846

Hello

And i’ll second that !! WOW !

03/26/10  07:11pm

Herpsarelife
View Profile

Message To: Camo_pants   In reference to Message Id: 2136309

Hello

thank you!

03/28/10  11:11am

Luvlizards
View Profile

Message To: Herpsarelife   In reference to Message Id: 2136654

Hello

I just took in a female tokay as a rescue that looks much like your first pics (see new post). Could you post some of the things that you did while you were rehabilitating yours? Your tokay has make some obvious wonderful improvements, I’d love any tips you may have for me.

04/16/10  08:59am

Herpsarelife
View Profile

Message To: Luvlizards   In reference to Message Id: 2141029

Hello

first big thing is making sure your humidity and heat are right. i started using a heat pad which did absolutely nothing, so i switched to a red 60W bulb which was perfect. then made sure i was misting regularly. i tried to feed him Repti-Aid, but it was hard to get him to open his mouth, so it was more just trying to get him to ’threaten’ me with an open mouth and squirting some in. Otherwise, just making sure all aspects of husbandry were correct is the best thing. i had him tested for parasites (fecal test) and it was negative. most vets will do it for pretty cheap. Then I just offered a few prey items at a time (i usually did like 4-6 crickets at a time). when i first got him he was only eating like 6 a week, which is obviously way too little, and now i’ve got him heating close to two dozen a week.

I would suggest getting it tested for internal parasites, and making sure all heat and humidity is right. Then get some Repti-Aid (which most pet stores will have) and trying to feed it that unitl it gets eating.

04/19/10  01:10pm

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area