Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Tokay Forum

Luvlizards   Luvlizards   ScrubLizard  
 Member  Message

Luvlizards
View Profile

New tokay-I’m in love

Hi all,haven’t posted in a looong time, I got a nice good sized healthy looking tokay, beautiful light colors (as long as I’m not stressing him out with cage cleanings lol) Nice don’t mess with me attitude, and I’m just in love with this type of gecko. Very nice display animal; so far he’s set up in a 29 gallon tank, that substrate that comes in a brick and you ad water, some live plants and a lot of fake ones, trying to keep a lot of hiding places up higher for him. Misting his enclosure 2x aday, temp on warm side is at about 88. He seems to be adjusting well, when the lights go out he covers ever inch of that tank. So, I’m feeding crickets . . . should I add worms as wells to his diet? any advice from those who have kept these beautiful lizards?
Thanks

12/22/09  08:47pm

Luvlizards
View Profile

Message To: Luvlizards   In reference to Message Id: 2107392

New tokay-I’m in love

so, I’ve had Frog (my tokay, long story on the name lol) for about 3 weeks now . . . I believe it’s a male due to pronounced pores and faint bulges . . . also, he called out the other day, the first time I had heard it! Do only the males call? He’s doing great; he’s settled in to his new environment well, eating and pooping well. Just wanted to put in an update on the nasty little guy lol. Tips from experienced tokay keepers are always welcome; i’ve found this forum to be pretty informative. :) Thanks.

01/16/10  05:25pm

ScrubLizard
View Profile

Message To: Luvlizards   In reference to Message Id: 2114292

New tokay-I’m in love

Nice tokay, they dont have to be display animals, mine was so nasty when I bought him in october, but really though they tame down real easy, I didnt just get lucky with mine, other people say they are easy to tame too.

he is still jumpy, and barks and pretends too bite in the cage, but once I have him in my hands I can pet him on the head, if you want to tame them get a peice of paper and nudge him onto it, once he is on the paper slide your hand under the paper and make him slide right into your hand, they cant grip paper

once he is in your hand just make sure there is no big drops if he jumps, just hold him over the cage, do that after every feeding for a couple minutes and you will see the difference, do it now before he gets full grown or youll risk the terrible bites

01/30/10  10:28am

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area