Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Tokay Forum

Zach01313   Zach01313   NathanSoto   Zach01313  
 Member  Message

Zach01313
View Profile

NEW TOKAY, kinda need some help

dont really need help, just need to know what I need exactly for the tokay, got him at repticon orlando today,getting him was an impulse thing, but I have other herps, so I just need to know the basics for keeping him good and alive till I can upgrade his enclosure

what I do know is that they need at least a 20 gallon and a heat lamp?
and they drink water that is spraye don the side of the glass of the tank? and eat crickets everyday?
60% humidity? all of that stuff I have done

how many crickets does he need a day? I have some and fed him about 5 crickets already, have plenty left for now, im assuming he will need more than that cause he is a sub adult I guess?

He has not shown me the aggressive reputation that tokays have.....yet, he lunged at me once but didnt bite down but he could have, and that was right after I fed him, he also jumped onto my arm when I was putting down paper towels for the bottom of the cage and didnt show any agression when I picke dhim up off my arm and put him on the other side of the cage

by the way, can paper towels be appropiate substrate? for now at least? im going to upgrade his cage alot soon.

so tell me what I need to know please

thanks, Zach

10/24/09  02:21pm

Zach01313
View Profile

Message To: Zach01313   In reference to Message Id: 2088232

ok?

too good to answer a noob?

10/24/09  07:49pm

NathanSoto
View Profile

Message To: Zach01313   In reference to Message Id: 2088232

Okay to answer some of your questions, a 20 gallon is the minimum but bigger is always better.The temps should be between 78-86 degrees with nighttime drop of about of 8-10 degrees so if your heat lamp can help maintain that then your good, i personally have to use 2. You definitely have to spray everyday as that is how they drink, and i you can feed everyday but i do it every other day because it is convenient for me and i feed them until they dont want to eat anymore which i usually about 8-10 crickets and i occasionally feed them 1 pinky a month, dont let the humidity drop below 40% as they can have shedding problems humidity should be kept between 40-80%.

And tokays really aren’t aggressive they are just really defensive and like being left alone and have the BITE to back it up, and paper towels is fine for now just make sure you keep the humidity up.

Hope this helps and hope i didnt miss anything if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

regards,

Nathan

10/29/09  06:58pm

Zach01313
View Profile

Message To: NathanSoto   In reference to Message Id: 2089811

k, I know all of that now, but thanks for answering, in the future I will get a bigger cage, but for now its fine, other question though, my tokay does not like to climb, the only time he climbs is when he is running away from me when I pick him up, but usually he hides on the floor when in the cage, why is that?

11/14/09  11:09pm

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area