Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Tokay Forum

Drwhoo85   Camo_pants   Drwhoo85   Russell55   Drwhoo85  
 Member  Message

Drwhoo85
View Profile

Old Tokay

I know it has been quite a while since I have been on this forum!

I conduct my masters research using Tokay geckos. We were not lucky enough to have the time or the money to breed them so about 2 1/2 years ago we ordered 20 "adults" from a supplier. We have no idea how old they were when they came in. I was wondering what is a sign of old age in a tokay, i.e. when is it going to die? I recently had an animal (starting about 2 weeks ago) stop eating, start losing weight, and constantly staying in his dark, agitated color stage. He died this morning. I performed a fecal smear and no mites or intestinal parasites were found. Could he just have died from old age?

06/12/09  11:09am

Camo_pants
View Profile

Message To: Drwhoo85   In reference to Message Id: 2020893

Old Tokay

could be ...... from most of my readings they live 7-10 years but then recently I have found write ups that say that they can live much longer.
I guess each and every tokay would be different. Sometimes organs stop working so well. Maybe if you still had the tokay you could get a necropsy done to find out. Wow I can’t believe you have 20 of them !

06/14/09  09:26am

Drwhoo85
View Profile

Message To: Camo_pants   In reference to Message Id: 2021996

Old Tokay

I’m sure something probably failed since there were no external injuries. I would love to do a necropsy but I don’t know when I will have time!

06/15/09  08:46am

Russell55
View Profile

Message To: Drwhoo85   In reference to Message Id: 2022523

Old Tokay

I don’t have any scientific data or anything. But I purchased a Tokay Gecko that was about 11" or 12" long in 1977. I have no idea how old he was when I got him and neither did the pet store staff. I had him,(?), until he died in 1991. That’s 14 years. He was almost 16" long when he died and had a huge head,(3 1/2"wide). He would go though periods of not eating every few years but always resumed feeding after his tail started to get "thin". He was never "tame" but would readily eat pinkies, large cockroaches, or katydids from my fingers. I just had to present them in a way that kept my fingers from being part of the meal!

06/26/09  11:15pm

Drwhoo85
View Profile

Message To: Russell55   In reference to Message Id: 2029581

Old Tokay

Wow, thats quite a long time for not knowing how old he was in the first place!

Thanks for the input everyone!

07/01/09  04:13pm

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area