Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Tokay Forum

Bawner00   Herpsarelife   Bawner00   Herpsarelife   Bawner00  
 Member  Message

Bawner00
View Profile

Terrarium opinions

hi!!! i’m new in this forum but i’m really starting to love it, i don’t speak too much english so this message may be a little bit confusing, so ok here i go... I will buy a tokay gecko in coming months, so I bought a terrarium, its about 3 feet 3 inches large, 2.62 feet tall and 1.64 feet wide aprox, and my doubt is should i keep it this way or it would be better if i change it to a vertical way so it has more space for climbing, and another doubt, should i use some kind of net as a cover, cause i was thinking to cover it 3/4 glass and 1/4 net, thinking that if i cover completely with some kind of net i could lose Dampness, i hope i’ve made miself clear, i’ll wait your opinions thanks!!!!

05/25/09  07:25pm

Herpsarelife
View Profile

Message To: Bawner00   In reference to Message Id: 2010960

Terrarium opinions

the tank size sounds right. they love to climb and are very rarely on the ground, so he/she would benefit from the longest length to be vertical, however you’re current height of 2.62 is fine as well. I would use 3/4 glass and 1/4 mesh for humidity. Depending on your home you may be misting a couple times a day. If you use a substrate like Bed-a-beast or coconut fibers they will hold humidity the best and also some terrarium moss will help as well. Tokays need tropical humidity (over 70%) and temps should be 85-90 on the warm side and about 75-80 on the cool side. The best heating for them is a heat lamp, for that size enclosure i would use either a 60 or 75 watt heat bulb. you can use a red bulb and leave it on all the time, or I just use a normal sun-glo bulb and give them a night time cool down. any other questions just ask.

05/25/09  09:44pm

Bawner00
View Profile

Message To: Herpsarelife   In reference to Message Id: 2011030

Terrarium opinions

thank u that’s really usefull information, but i still got doubts, hope u can help me in order to give my future tokay a king’s life... well then i will use a 75 watt heat bulb to heat it all day long and at night i can use a red bulb right?, BUT is there any risk of burn if i put the bulb inside the tank or is there any kind of protection?

05/26/09  03:22pm

Herpsarelife
View Profile

Message To: Bawner00   In reference to Message Id: 2011348

Terrarium opinions

i would put the bulb outside the cage unless you plan on making a mesh box to go around the lights. and yes, you can use a regular bulb during the day and red at night.

05/26/09  08:30pm

Bawner00
View Profile

Message To: Herpsarelife   In reference to Message Id: 2011559

Terrarium opinions

thanks!!!!

05/27/09  09:49am

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area