Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckos-Tokay Forum

Snakeobsession   Prettykttkat   Jen1216   Aandfsoccr04   Jen1216   Camo_pants  
 Member  Message

Snakeobsession
View Profile

Should I?

hello I have never been on this forum before but I may be getting a tokay gecko. I have seen them on herp shows and I thought they were awesome so I asked the local pet store about them and they said they were not the greatest gecko and are very agressive. soooo I was sad cuz these geckos look really cool and now I am here asking you if they are a good gecko to get???? thanks for any input

Victoria

03/13/09  02:08pm

Prettykttkat
View Profile

Message To: Snakeobsession   In reference to Message Id: 1967912

Should I?

In my experience they are easy to care for if you do your research on their requirements. It is not true that they are a bad gecko. They are only aggressive if not tamed. This is because they are afraid of you. If you want a really friendly tokay you need to get a CB baby and raise it yourself. Hold it almost everyday and NEVER grab it or it will be scared and not get tame. I have a male and female pair that my 5 yr old daughter can handle. Once tame they are very calm and docile. They will even eat from my hand or lick applesauce from my finger. I have kept many lizards over the years and I have to say these guys are one of the tamest/tolerant gecko species I’ve ever kept.

03/13/09  02:32pm

Jen1216
View Profile

Message To: Prettykttkat   In reference to Message Id: 1967924

Should I?

I have been wondering the same thing as snakeobsession. I love the way tokays look, and I would love to tame one so I could hold it.
I have done a ton of research on them and I have two leopard geckos already, so I am pretty sure I could handle one, but are their bites as bad as people say?
And how hard is it to tame them? I understand not all can be tamed, but is it possible to tame one without spending hours with it everyday like some people say is needed?
I just don’t have that much extra time. Even if I couldn’t tame it I would still love one but if anyone has any answers that would be great

08/29/09  06:04pm

Aandfsoccr04
View Profile

Message To: Jen1216   In reference to Message Id: 2065171

Should I?

if you dont have a lot of time but want a tame gecko you might want to look into getting a african fat tail or a gargoyle gecko. tokay bites are pretty bad and they do hurt and most likely will bleed.

08/30/09  07:59pm

Jen1216
View Profile

Message To: Aandfsoccr04   In reference to Message Id: 2065593

Should I?

ok. im still not sure if i will be getting another lizard anyways, but thanks

08/31/09  11:12am

Camo_pants
View Profile

Message To: Jen1216   In reference to Message Id: 2065802

Should I?

I never hold mine but he will come eat from my hand. I got him when he was 2 weeks old and i’ve had him for 3 or 4 years now. He is only aggressive if i touch him, otherwise he’s great. I love his mating calls and watching him eat and he really loves watching tv. I think they are a great pet if you can handle having a look but don’t touch animal

09/15/09  12:30am

Back to Geckos-Tokay Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area