Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

NewLeoOwner   CMF   LeopardGeckoNBirds  

Member  Message

NewLeoOwner
View Profile

Desperately need help with gut loading meal worms!

Hey guys! I’m a new leo owner. I just got her a week ago and she’s been settling in nicely. She’s about a year old. I have mealworms right now but I’m lost when it comes to gut loading them. There’s so much information everywhere and it’s all different! How do I gut load them? HELP

02/20/18  09:48am

CMF
View Profile

Message To: NewLeoOwner   In reference to Message Id: 2322065

From my vet -

"To properly gut load, provide insects with a complete diet such as rodent chow, dry dog food, or bird pellets. Insects should primarily be crickets. Mealworms, giant mealworms, and wax moth larvae are high in fat, and should be offered only in small amounts. To prevent injury to our gecko remove uneaten crickets immediately."

The vet also says "black soldier fly larvae, or Phoenix worms, are a good choice for geckos. Occasionally, though, the larvae will develop into adult flies. They are harmless and the geckos can eat them, but kind of scary looking!"

Hope that helps!

CMF

02/22/18  06:12pm

LeopardGeckoNBirds
View Profile

Message To: CMF   In reference to Message Id: 2322074

Your gecko basically eats whatever the worms or crickets eat, so feed them oatmeal, dog food, special high calcium feed ect. Gut loading means you need to take your worms out of the refrigerator and let them eat and live in the oatmeal or whatever for at least 12 hours, then, dust them and they are ready for your gecko!

03/08/18  03:59pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area