Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Blue_leo   Blue_leo   Crotus   Blue_leo   Eris  

Member  Message

Blue_leo
View Profile

Can someone answer my question...

Hi,
My Leo is a healthy weight and everything else, I was pretty dumb and I would just dump in 10 crickets into her tank and end up leaving them in there through out the week, is this bad if she is healthy does it matter?

11/02/17  06:09pm

Blue_leo
View Profile

Message To: Blue_leo   In reference to Message Id: 2321450

Could crickets bite her? I’m now more worried the more I research...

11/02/17  06:23pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Blue_leo   In reference to Message Id: 2321452

My advice is that it’s best to drop in only a few crickets at a time (not more than 4 or 5 at the most) ; hopefully they will be eaten but if not then remove any that are still there and start fresh. If you are not doing so already, I recommend that you keep a small colony of feeder crickets in an escape-proof container (a plastic tupperware container will do, tight-fitting lid with air holes punched in it, high enough so the crickets won’t jump out too easily). Place into this some pieces of egg crate for the crickets to hide in, a small feeding tray that you can place flake fish food on for the crickets to eat, and a small water bowl to keep them hydrated (this should be filled nearly to the brim with pebbles to prevent the crickets from drowning). You will then have a supply of fresh gut-loaded crickets whenever you need them, and will not have to worry about leftover starving crickets bothering your gecko (starving crickets can become cannibalistic and hurt your gecko). Try this please and let me know how it goes.

11/06/17  02:59pm

Blue_leo
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2321471

Thank you for your help,
I took the crickets out and put them in a pet carrier I used for bringing my Leo home from my aunts in SC (I had to go to MI) and fed them and the rest because of my resurch, I will probably raise the amount of food because she looks a little skinnier then usual.
[Thanks]

11/07/17  05:01pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Blue_leo   In reference to Message Id: 2321497

Hi! I agree with Crotus :) Also, I hand feed my leos with tongs, that way I can monitor how much both get. Added bonus is I don’t have to clean up the cricket mess and no late night singing crickets to drive me nuts. Not to mention that it helps with socializing them-when they see me they come out and check to see what goodies I may have. I also use a shallow dish for mealworms.

12/09/17  05:30am

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area