Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Geckos-Leopard Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kcard5   Blue_leo  

Member  Message

Kcard5
View Profile

When to turn heating lamp on and off?? New to this and need help!

Hello! I just bought my leopard gecko at a reptile expo 2 or 3 weeks ago. She is 3 months old. I have a 20 gallon tank with a mini heater on 1 side. I’m that side is where I have a red 50 watt bulb. I keep reading that the temperature on the warm side of the tank during the day should be between 80 and 90 degrees. And the cooler side can be in the 70s. Then at night it can go down to the mid 60s. I went to a local pet store and the woman said not to keep the light on during the day and that it can over heat my gecko... she said to put the light on from 7pm to 7am. Is this correct? She is lively, eats every day, and goes to the bathroom regularly. When should I be turning the light on and off because when it shuts off at 7am then the tank during the day is between 75 and 80 degrees and at night the warm side is getting up to 85 degrees... I’m confused!

09/21/17  09:46am

Blue_leo
View Profile

Message To: Kcard5   In reference to Message Id: 2321291

When to turn heating lamp on and off?? New to this and need help!

If you would like to know what I do....
I use a lamp timer alternating every 5 hours or so, I have it turn off for two or three hours. I Keep it off at night because my Leo preferres the dark when she is awake because they are nocturnal.
Hopefully this helps

11/02/17  06:21pm

Back to Geckos-Leopard Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area